Juvenia 604

Hi,

Now I've spent some time getting used to dismantling, cleaning, oiling, repairing etc. I've decided to look at a couple of my own watches, nice vintage ones but not too valuable. Here's one of them, a Juvenia 604. The only information I found online is that it is based on Aurore Villeret 423 and apparently very thin (see photo against out of focus AAA battery). As you can see the dial is marked/damaged. I think this has come from pressure on it directly from the tension ring - the case has a solid back, the front half lifts off. I imagine this damage is permanent, but am wondering if it was avoidable. Was the wrong glass fitted when it was last serviced do you think, or fitted incorrectly?

Other than that the watch runs pretty well for it's age. On the timing machine it has an amplitude of 270, no beat error and + 3s/d. I don't know now whether I should touch it, or just leave it. Any information/advice welcome.

Stephen

post-373-0-94135000-1437668479_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-07371000-1437668502_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-31389200-1437668516_thumb.jpg

Looks like it is very clean inside the movement . It could very well run good even if it needs to be serviced . What you should look for is if there is any oil in the jewels or they have dried up . Dial is probably from a loose movement . In this case maybe a crystal that isn't perfectly installed ?  

• Like 1

Hi Rog,

Thanks for the comments. I feel like the installed crystal might be wrong, as it does seem to be inserted properly but has obviously been pressing on the dial. I find this quite annoying as I don't think I can do anything to fix it, the paint has been scratched all round the dial.

I remembered after I posted that I do need to take a closer look at it. There seems to be a problem somewhere as the mainspring doesn't fully unwind/release. As a for instance if today I could fully wind with eight turns, tomorrow it will only take seven, the day after six etc. until eventually it won't wind. If I the leave it alone for a few days it works again, but then the same thing happens.

Stephen