Tissot `seastar` Gaining Time

I`ve replaced a damaged hairspring along with it`s balance wheel for a serviceable one from a donor watch. With the balance jewel `in beat` and the fast/slow lever set as far as it will go in the slow position, the watch is still gaining over an hour a day. I`ve adjusted the spring so that when the fast/slow lever, is operated through it`s complete movement, there`s no deflection of the hairspring. (This was done with the small retaining pin on the lever in the open position).  How far should the retaining pin be turned onto the spring after testing is carried out?.....just touching the spring? I`m guessing it shouldn`t be too tight or else the spring will buckle upwards.

Thanks          

IMG_20150721_0001.pdf

post-1269-0-66093100-1437517413_thumb.jp

The hairspring`s been cleaned and it`s been de-magnetised. Did anyone get the chance to look at the sketch I made showing the advance/retard (fast/slow) lever and the question that went with it which was; when turning the locking pin of the said lever, what sort of tension is needed as it touches the hairspring?

Thanks everyone for your help.  

Did anyone get the chance to look at the sketch I made showing the advance/retard (fast/slow) lever and the question that went with it which was; when turning the locking pin of the said lever, what sort of tension is needed as it touches the hairspring?

Sorry I missed that.

With the mainspring unwound and no force on the gear train, the roller jewel on the balance wheel should be sitting in the end of the escapement lever and in line with the centre of the escape wheel and the balance wheel. When at rest in this position, the hairspring should sit centrally between the pins on the rate adjusting lever and not touch either of them. This should be the case regardless of where in the range the rate lever is set.

Sorry. Yes the hair spring should set evenly between both pins. It should not lean toward or touch either side. While the balance is in motion the hairspring should "bounce" evenly between each regulating pin. If it is touching a side that can usually be fixed by s minor adjustment to the hairspring very near to the stud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Boy, I wish I could see as close up as some of your pics everybody! I'd already seen the hairspring adjustment video and used the information to atain the correct curve of the spring between the retaining pin, (took me all day to get it right), but what I couldn't make out was how far the locking pin should be closed. You've answered my question: thanks everybody - but it's still gaining though.

Nice Triton in your pic Geo by the way!  Amplitude ...hmm. Not sure what that means without going on the web. My watch repair kit`s very basic; tweezers, small s/drivers, hand remover, cleaning solution, lubricant, magnification headband and some homemade bits. To be honest, I`m not too concerned at this stage about getting the time spot on thanks. Something fundamental must be amiss for it to be gaining an hour a day though. The replacement h/spring`s definitely from an identical movement, if it wasn`t I would have suspected a differing size of spring perhaps?  I`ll get to the bottom of it one way or the other.

Thanks again    

The amplitude is the rotation of the balance wheel in degrees, it should ideally fall between about 275 and 315 degrees. If the amplitude is very low, say 170, the watch will actually run faster because the balance is effectively short stroking, i.e. it takes less time to rotate 170 degrees than say 270. Low amplitude could be caused by a week or wrong spring, and or a movement that is severely requires servicing.

My avatar is a 1958 Norton Dominator fitted with a 750cc Atlas motor! :)