NH34 GMT Movement DOA?

I just received a bunch of parts to try and build my first watch. I was so excited! The problem is that the movement does not seem to be alive. It feels and sounds like it is winding, but it never starts running. Complications in the other stem positions seem to be working like day change, GMT hand jump, and hour and minute hand set. Movement is TMI NH34 GMT. Anyone have any ideas, or will I have to try and get it replaced?

Does the rotor spin freely? Does the balance wheel oscillate? A few shakes of the Seiko shuffle should be enough to get the seconds hand moving.

btw 55 complete turns of the crown or 8 complete turns of the ratchet wheel (using a screwdriver) will wind the mainspring fully. 

38 minutes ago, JohnFrum said:

Does the rotor spin freely? Does the balance wheel oscillate? A few shakes of the Seiko shuffle should be enough to get the seconds hand moving.

btw 55 complete turns of the crown or 8 complete turns of the ratchet wheel (using a screwdriver) will wind the mainspring fully. 

Thanks for replying John. The rotor does move freely, but the balance wheel never kicks in - even the a little bump start. I will try to identify what is the ratchet wheel and give it a few turns to see what happens. I will look into that after my headgear magnification arrives. Its "on truck for delivery" now.

Edited by phr0stbyte

Hi Welcome to the forum.  If you have paid for and received a faulty movement It would be best to return it to the sender intact but if thats not possible and you are prepared to repair the module yourself I have attached the tech sheet for your guidance.  If the module is dead several points you need to address,   does the balance swing when given a puff of air. does it wobble (pivots ok / broken), does it wind up ok.  Rotor moving when moved  With the power removed from the train remove the balance and the pallet/fork and put a couple of winds on the M/spring, does the train move and reverse spin when the power runs out(denotes a free train). What you have to do is isolate segments of the watch to determine the faulty area.       all the best

NH34_TG.pdf

15 hours ago, phr0stbyte said:

Update: I got some magnification now, and I can see that the little swirly wires on the balance wheel are bent and a strand gets stuck on the lip of some movement edge piece. I am guessing this is dead, as it looks pretty mangled in there.

Here is a pic.

movement-macro.jpg

That balance hairspring is indeed mangled. Get the movement replaced. 
When you get the new one, some slight shaking (the Seiko Shuffle) that causes the rotor to spin, is enough to get the balance wheel swinging back and forth. You will see the flat hairspring “breathe” as the coils move in and out as the wheel oscillates. That is the sign of a working movement. You will be able to observe, on the dial side, the rotation of the pivot on which the seconds hand is mounted. 

Edited by JohnFrum

1 hour ago, JohnFrum said:

That balance hairspring is indeed mangled. Get the movement replaced. 
When you get the new one, some slight shaking (the Seiko Shuffle) that causes the rotor to spin, is enough to get the balance wheel swinging back and forth. You will see the flat hairspring “breathe” as the coils move in and out as the wheel oscillates. That is the sign of a working movement. You will be able to observe, on the dial side, the rotation of the pivot on which the seconds hand is mounted. 

Thanks, John. Already talking with the company I sourced the movement from. They asked for a pic, which I provided. I am pretty sure they will send me a new movement. If not, I will just buy a new on from somewhere. Just getting into this hobby and still have some tools on the way, so I will be patient. You dont realize how tiny everything actually is until you are in the thick of it. Watching Youtube videos, the Youtubers macro lenses make everything look so big!

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi. You can get a new balance complete to fit in from the material houses, Cousins uk, Esslingers, etc or eBay.

An issue with Seiko NH movements is the relative cost of balance and barrel completes. They are typically 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of a entire new movement. So it is more cost effective to buy a new movement and simply install that. Also avoids the challenge of a novice attempting to replace the assembled balance, not getting the roller jewel inside the pallet fork, and eventually mangling the spring during repeated attempts. A balance complete replacement would be even more challenging. More than likely the original balance got mangled during at attempt at regulation, was returned to the vendor and resold. Getting the spring on with a proper terminal curve after someone has messed with the studs is unlikely for someone new to the hobby. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnFrum said:

An issue with Seiko NH movements is the relative cost of balance and barrel completes. They are typically 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of a entire new movement. So it is more cost effective to buy a new movement and simply install that. Also avoids the challenge of a novice attempting to replace the assembled balance, not getting the roller jewel inside the pallet fork, and eventually mangling the spring during repeated attempts. A balance complete replacement would be even more challenging. More than likely the original balance got mangled during at attempt at regulation, was returned to the vendor and resold. Getting the spring on with a proper terminal curve after someone has messed with the studs is unlikely for someone new to the hobby. 

Agreed. I want to keep this broken movement though for learning purposes 🙂