Newbie Introduction

jfred1

My name is Josh and I'm in California.  I work as an IT engineer (Information Technology) and with an interest in cybersecurity.

I was introduced to mechanical watches 6-7 years back by a co-worker at the time.  I quickly became fascinated in how they functioned, and how such level of precision (within seconds per day) could be obtained solely mechanically.  I'm more interested in the mechanical workings of watches than the fashion/prestige of them.

After some years of off and on again watching YouTube videos on watch servicing and repair, I've finally jumped in.  I have a modest collection of basic tools, and am going through Mark's courses now.

I was also the kid who took apart all sorts of toys and household items to see how they worked, which I suspect many of you can relate to.

• Like 1

Hello Josh, and welcome. You are right, a mechanical watch is the ultimate "how does it work, can I take it apart, can I put it back together, does it still work?" household object. You have come to the right place for deep knowledge of the the workings of mechanical watches, as opposed to say, model numbers or market prices.

• Like 1