Победа (Pobeda) - USSR Era Watch

This will be a gift for my brother in-law, assuming I can get it working.

Case requires some work and a new crystal, but the dial looks in great condition

2023-02-19-19-13-02-374.jpg

2023-02-19-19-14-16-866.jpg

IMG-20230219-WA0002.jpeg

Internals look clean enough, and balance/hairspring looked a lot better once I removed it - but still may need some tweaking (always my Achilles heel).

All stripped and ready for cleaning.

2023-02-19-19-14-25-147.jpg

2023-02-19-19-22-09-447.jpg

2023-02-19-19-38-30-268.jpg

Edited by Waggy
Spelling!
  • Like 2

Watch cleaned and re-assembled, less the balance which I need to fix/replace and the hour wheel and dial washer which fall off without the dial in place. I couldn't save the original chrome plating so had to take off the old chrome from the case so I can nickle plate - just needs a good clean and final buff/polish before starting the plating process....

1cc7b3ae-c32b-4f2b-84b7-c075fd0bb23e.jpg

3cbeecde-7a4f-4b0b-b5cf-0ec0387c6176.jpg

a1f40bbe-be9f-4c02-bdad-54b51872633f.jpg

With regards to the crown, this seems to be part of the stem and not screwed on, or maybe I can't see any of the threads. I tried to unscrew it but didn't use much torque in case I broke it. Does anyone know if these watches use a one piece crown-stem or is the crown removable like a normal watch?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Waggy said:

Does anyone know if these watches use a one piece crown-stem or is the crown removable like a normal watch?

I don't know, but I've never seen or heard about any system where the crown and stem are a single piece. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if you'd be able to find a replacement on eBay.

5 hours ago, Waggy said:

I couldn't save the original chrome plating so had to take off the old chrome from the case so I can nickle plate - just needs a good clean and final buff/polish before starting the plating process....

What did you use to take off the old chrome? I believe there are several videos and posts showing nickel plating, but still, I'd be interested to hear how you go about it.

Edited by VWatchie

I used a felt buffing wheel to take out the scratches and dings, when complete about half the chrome plate was gone, so I continued to use the felt wheel to remove the bulk of the rest. Finished off with polishing sticks. Will use the polish wheel and polishing compound before a good clean and then ultrasonic bath before plating.

• Like 1

FAILURE!

😭

After an hour trying to fix the balance only to discover that the staff pivot was broken (should have spotted this sooner!), and then looking at 3 donor movements all with equally damaged balances this watch is getting relegated to the donor pile - pitty, but this is reminiscent of my other Russian watch experiences. I think my next project will qualify for the 404 club!

• Sad 1