from California, just started learning watch repair, 17yo

NathanM

Hey there,

I just started learning how to repair/ care for watches, I had always found the movements interesting and I wanted to find some cheap vintage watches to repair. I just finished my first watch, a 1940s helbros invincible, and the service went well as far as I can tell. I'm excited to work on another watch, but I don't know what a good brand is to look for, budget is under 75$

Welcome to the WRT forum. 

Some points to take into account when buying watches to repair, Do you plan to wear or re sell the pieces? There is always the questions of spare parts avaiability , price and shipping..... costs. Good idea to get a spare or scrap movement to scavenge parts from. 

• Like 1

I was like you. Interested in watches and how they work, but I had no idea how to take the general interest to the next level back then. "Back then" was around 30 years ago, and we had less access to information like the stuff on this forum. 

Sounds like your first watch was a good choice. If I were you, I would consider getting some watches from the former Soviet Union, like Vostok, Volna, Raketa, or some of the older models of Sekonda that were sold in the UK. They can still be had for decent prices and are typically well made and respond well to some TLC. The Molnija pocket watches are great for learning as well, but their prices are higher since new ones haven't been made in a few years. Also, see if you can find an HMT Janata or similar as they used a very basic 17 jewel movement designed with assistance from Citizen.

Shipping is always a bit of a downside with some of this, but deals can still be had. 

At the risk of sounding condescending, it's great to see a young person getting interested while they're still young. Good luck with this.

-William