Anybody print the barrel closer that's floating around the internet?

46 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

I can't understand why anyone would bother to 3D print this. The Chinese copies are pretty good and cheap. 

I must admit i was thinking the same thing, Gert also. I was going to say great minds think alike but then thought more accurately # thats two skilled repairers and erm ? me #

• Haha 1

The only thing I can think of is: they have a 3D printer and they don't have a barrel closing tool and they have spare resin they want to use?

BTW - If you were to use a 45 mm radius and use a depth of 1.3mm at the center things ought to be close enough for gov't work...   🙂 

8 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Probably not. Because I already have a barrel closer.

Yes but just think if he had 3-D printer and whatever your printing with resin or filament just think of all the different pretty colors you get have. They could start printing them for your friends and relatives and soon the planet would be covered with barrel closers or calibration cubes. Yes some people of 3-D printers like to print calibration cubes just because they want things to be perfect.

Then of course is not just printing the object somebody took time to design the object.  This think a much time that took then they had the printed out and ideally they should a probably printed more than one and two to verify that they worked which may be in this case they did not.

10 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Maybe because you don't have a 3-D printer, if you had a 3-D printer would you print one?

yeah pretty much this. He got his 3d resin printer set up finally. he wants to print stuff. he asked me if there's anything he can print for me. This seemed like a good one. It's also just exploring 3d printing tools a bit. I have a few ideas for ones i could model for printing.

Edited by Birbdad

On 11/13/2022 at 9:04 PM, Birbdad said:

he's not sure why but it doesn't appear to have come out the correct size and can't actually close a barrel.

I suppose I have to use a certain degree of interpretation here?

Then regarding the question of why print one when you could purchase one? May be because you already have a 3-D printer and you're curious?

Now what I mean by interpretation? The reference to it doesn't appear to have the right size that's interpretation thing as to what does that mean? On the other hand if you have a 3-D printer becomes quite apparent what that means.

Sizing on 3-D printers is interesting in that it can be calibrated. In other words they have standard objects there are certain size you print the object you measure and then you can adjust your machine will print the exact right size. Typically it's a 20 mm calibration cube. They can make sure everything is size write your filaments flowing at the right rate if you have a filament printer like I do you get all of this dialed in. But typically with filament printers inside holes they end up being slightly smaller but that's fine you can open it with a drill if need be.

Then the other thing of course you do something isn't quite sized right even though you've calibrated you can tell the software that slices the object in other words makes the object ready for the printer to print it slightly bigger which is currently what I'm going to do with the top part as it seems to have an issue.

You notice that there are two 3-D printed barrel closers. The orange one was printed a very very long time ago. The reason I can tell is the first filament I ever purchased for my printer was orange to that would've been a very long time ago. The file came from somebody else who based it on the PDF. Then don't notice it looks nice and shiny and that's because I put it in a lathe and I sanded all the surfaces they look nice and shiny.

So in the orange version the inside whole is quite a bit bigger and the  top part literally falls on there is a lot of clearance basically several millimeters of clearance.

Now what would be in interpretation of a sizing issue well the blue one I printed. Notice how the top part is not down it's been pushed on a little bit but I suspect if I push it down tight it's not coming off and it will be tight. Somebody failed to grasp that items need to have clearance if there is to slide together. So sliding isn't exactly the word I'm using here it requires a little bit of force here in quite a bit more force if you go much farther. Fortunately 3-D printers have a way of sizing things so I'm sizing it just slightly bigger the top part and let's see if it fits better.

Enough for the fun of 3-D printing for the afternoon I changed the lid part sizing from 1 to 1.1 and that made it about the same size as the orange one although the inside hole was still smaller. Then I change the base size to 1.05 which does make it almost the same size as the orange one except of course the whole was much smaller and reasonably sure the inside curvature is still too great don't think it be a good  match probably for a wristwatch barrel advocates to deep but the fun of it I'll take them the work and compare it to the with the one at work and see how they compare.

barrel closer 3-D b.JPG

Darrell closer 3-D a.JPG

• 1 year later...

So does anyone have a working 3D model of this tool..... yes I got a 3D printer for Christmas and I have to find things to use it on so I don't get criticised for wanting yet another toy I don't use 🤣

I decided to design and build my own model, link here, made sure it could handle the slimmer types of barrels that the existing one struggles with.

I printed mine in PETG, but no reason PLA/PLA+ wouldn't work as well.

The FreeCAD parametric files and .stl files are attached below in a zip archive, change the .pdf to .zip after you download to access. or you can take the .stl files from printables web site 🙂

PXL_20240124_172648589.thumb.jpg.e54972c8dfe6eaebe75d89731c017c1d.jpg

Barrel_Tool_R2.pdf

Edited by Waggy
  • Like 1