Hi there I have a Rotary GS03862 and can't find out how to remove the stem to get to the watch face. Please could someone give me any tips?

2 minutes ago, watchdan said:

Hi there I have a Rotary GS03682 and can't find out how to remove the stem to get to the watch face. Please could someone give me any tips?

16646275917815303140124538834613.jpg

Edited by watchdan

As with any fashion watch the name on the dial doesn't mean much, that however is a cheap Chinese mov.t

It appears that the stem is removed by directly lifting the setting lever but the picture isn't clear enough to tell where exactly.

Thanks! Is that better?

PXL_20221001_130419849.jpg

Or maybe this 

PXL_20221001_130454821.MP.jpg

4 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup matey can you improve the clarity in this area please.

16646275917815303140124538834613.thumb.jpg.19cf2e491c5de70e3f907211dfc8d214-1.jpg

Popped some photos above. I've circled the bit in yellow where there's a lever that seems to move but no dimple or anything to release!

PXL_20221001_130454821.MP~2.jpg

1 hour ago, jdm said:

As with any fashion watch the name on the dial doesn't mean much, that however is a cheap Chinese mov.t

It appears that the stem is removed by directly lifting the setting lever but the picture isn't clear enough to tell where exactly.

Thanks! I've posted a clearer picture now. Does that help?

I've had to work on one of these beastly things before.  I'm going to try to include a picture of where I recall applying pressure to release the stem (now included on a following post).  On most mechanical watches, the set lever is the only thing holding the stem in.  And it does that by resting in a groove in the stem.  If you keep in mind that you must loosen the set lever's grip in that stem-groove somehow, then it becomes a matter of how to do that.  Some mechanical watches have a screw which goes through the set lever and by loosening the screw, you loosen the lever.  This watch movement, though, has a set lever that works like a see-saw.  You push down on one side, the other side (the finger-in-the-groove side) comes up.  The idea is to get the set lever out of the stem groove - carefully.  Oh!  And before pulling the stem, on this kind I have found it to be slightly easier to pull the stem when it is pushed in, in its "winding mode".  Not all watches are like that.  You learn these things as you go.  But like I mentioned, go slowly and carefully with this one.  Some of the parts are fragile and others are ill-fitting.

Edited by KarlvonKoln
edited for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I've had to work on one of these beastly things before.  I'm going to try to include a picture of where I recall applying pressure to release the stem.  On most mechanical watches, the set lever is the only thing holding the stem in.  And it does that by resting in a groove in the stem.  If you keep in mind that you must loosen the set lever's grip in that stem-groove somehow, then it becomes a matter of how to do that.  Some mechanical watches have a screw which goes through the set lever and by loosening the screw, you loosen the lever.  This watch movement, though, has a set lever that works like a see-saw.  You push down on one side, the other side (the finger-in-the-groove side) comes up.  The idea is to get the set lever out of the stem groove - carefully.  Oh!  And before pulling the stem, on this kind I have found it to be slightly easier to pull the stem when it is pushed in, in its "winding mode".  Not all watches are like that.  You learn these things as you go.  But like I mentioned, go slowly and carefully with this one.  Some of the parts are fragile and others are ill-fitting.

CH-2189.jpg

Thanks! It doesn't appear to have that here! I've attached another pic from a different angle.

PXL_20221001_141635533.jpg

2 minutes ago, watchdan said:

Thanks! It doesn't appear to have that here! I've attached another pic from a different angle.

PXL_20221001_141635533.jpg

It's there; I can see it.  See the new picture I posted; it's better than my other one.  Those little touch-points are aggravating to search for until you get used to it.  (Sometimes, even if you've been doing this a while, they're still aggravating to look for).  But remember, it's like a see-saw.  You just need to find the other end.

17 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Yep.  2189 is the silver one.  2189G is the gold plated one. I found a better picture, so I removed the one I posted so as not to mislead.

DSC03323___.jpg

Thanks!! That worked! Now I'm at the front of the watch I can see the second hand is loose and wobbling right and left (making the watch go forward in time rapidly!) Any idea how to tighten it?

Edited by watchdan

10 minutes ago, watchdan said:

Now I'm at the front of the watch I can see the second hand is loose and wobbling right and left (making the watch go forward in time rapidly!) Any idea how to tighten it?

Egad!  I hope that isn't what I think it is.  Can you do a video?

10 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Egad!  I hope that isn't what I think it is.  Can you do a video?

I've just popped out but essentially the second hand swings around in a clockwise circle rapidly when the watch is moved. The second hand had fallen off and I tried to reattach it by pushing it in/ screwing it in. How should it reattach?

30 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Oh.  Maybe it was just loose.

It's friction-fit.  You should be able to just gently push it back on.

For a moment, I thought the watch had begun to run rapidly and was spinning the second hand around the dial.

Yes it started to do that when I pushed the second hand back on!

17 minutes ago, watchdan said:

Yes it started to do that when I pushed the second hand back on!

At this point, we would need to see a video of the movement when it's doing that.  Particularly a nice clear video of all the escapement in action while the second hand does that.  But don't make it a long video; I'm thinking there could be damage.  I think I know what's going on but I don't want to say something and misdiagnose for you.  If the movement is doing what you describe, matters will get complicated for it.

2 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I've had to work on one of these beastly things before.  I'm going to try to include a picture of where I recall applying pressure to release the stem (now included on a following post).  On most mechanical watches, the set lever is the only thing holding the stem in.  And it does that by resting in a groove in the stem.  If you keep in mind that you must loosen the set lever's grip in that stem-groove somehow, then it becomes a matter of how to do that.  Some mechanical watches have a screw which goes through the set lever and by loosening the screw, you loosen the lever.  This watch movement, though, has a set lever that works like a see-saw.  You push down on one side, the other side (the finger-in-the-groove side) comes up.  The idea is to get the set lever out of the stem groove - carefully.  Oh!  And before pulling the stem, on this kind I have found it to be slightly easier to pull the stem when it is pushed in, in its "winding mode".  Not all watches are like that.  You learn these things as you go.  But like I mentioned, go slowly and carefully with this one.  Some of the parts are fragile and others are ill-fitting.

Really good clear explanation for beginners of part integration,  engagement  and accurate instructions of how to disengage them 👍

• Like 1