Goodies From The Usa

My son arrived from LA with a few packages for me that I have been busy accumulating on the Bay.  I find that the watches and parts are really good value and often the sellers accept a quite low best offer price so I now have the following stuff in a queue for attention (except for the Omega watch which is now on my wrist).

I managed to pick up this Omega movement:

post-197-0-12985400-1434897455_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-61494000-1434897469_thumb.jpg

And I have got this case in the UK which I believe to be compatible, at least the sizes match and the ages of both the case and movement are about right as well so I am hopeful. 

The movement is working but the hands will need a re lume and the movement a full service.  There is some rust to attend to but I have a new stem arriving from Argentina (got 5 for £8.50 postage inc.) and the case spring and bumper springs are not too bad when you get a proper look at them.  Even the dial is in better condition than it looks in the photo.

post-197-0-21878500-1434897577_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-86423900-1434897604_thumb.jpg

I also got a couple of Helbros watches one of which is in really good condition and comes with original box and papers but the lens needs replacement or polishing the other Helbros is not so good as the case is chromed and worn but the movement is working and the dial is good but I got it for a total of £12.00 and it has a brand new Speidel expandable bracelet on it so I probably will break even on it with a bit work and I have some spare cases that may fit.

post-197-0-95634300-1434897494_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-37685200-1434897514_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-28054900-1434897544_thumb.jpg

I got the Accutron coil for a song but it is a bit of a punt - have not tested it yet but fingers crossed.

post-197-0-82123100-1434897664_thumb.jpg

On a whim I got this GP movement that will go in my box for repairs as it needs some bits so I will keep a look out.

post-197-0-49467500-1434897619.jpg

Finally a treat from my wife,

post-197-0-58347500-1434897634_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-99894800-1434897650_thumb.jpg

Fully serviced and working like a charm and I am well pleased with it.

Now what can i get to bring back with me when I go to LA next year --- Hmmmm.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 3

Hello George,

Bumper was serviced already and exceeded my expectations.  I will be using your walkthrough to service the other one and probably be on to you for info as well.

Turns out I already have a new case for the Helbros with the poor chromed case, I bought a couple from Poland a while ago, must get my spares sorted out so I know what I have already got.

Cheers,

Vic

post-197-14353931659788.jpg

Thought the strap could do with a decent buckle to finish it off. The watch has exceeded expectations. Time keeping is good and all it needs is a few shakes in the morning and put it on my wrist and it is set for the day. Many thanks to George who introduced me to these gems. Trouble is that when I service and fix the other one, I may not be able to let it go.

My son and his wife have had a few days in Rome / Paris and are back on Monday for a week before returning to LA. I must set to with all my projects and keep my mind off the Bay - there is however this tasty little Gerard Perregaux movement I have my eyes on that has some parts I need for another project. Oh dear !

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 2

Hello George,

I am working on it.  I will be in touch mate :thumbsu:

Hello Will,

I am guessing at about 1943.  The Omega Chart that is floating around on a number of sites puts the number "9811064" at 1939 to 1943.  The movement is a 28.10 and probably RA PC because of the sub second and the Ranft site indicates they were produced from 1943 to 1949.  On that basis I plump for 1943 but it would be nice to have a proveable date and I would be happy to be erected.

If you two stalwarts (and anyone else for that matter) could chip in with advice, I am going to have to at least re lume the hands and would like advice about the nearest colour lume to the original. This is a hard call as the deterioration of the original lume makes it a bit problematic. Any suggestions as to product and sourcing of same would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Vic 

I never codged him - least I can't remember.  Had to look that one up  and it is an old man in the OED and a slow moving old man in other dictionaries, I must take exception and say I resemble that remark  ;)  - anyway,howay lads how about the lume ?

Cheers,

Vic

Great finds Vic there are really good deals out there with the favourable exchange rates. The only issue is import duties from non EU countries. Just purchased a clock mainspring winder from the states cost after exchanges rates £210 however import duty £48. 

I think the bugbear is the VAT which is charged at 20% then they take the duty which is rated at 2.5% if the goods value is between £135.00 and £630.00 though it can be less than 2.5% for certain things.

My son can bring in goods to the value of £390.00 with no charges (and so can his good lady) without being subject to VAT etc. as he is resident in the USA and just visiting.

£48.00 is quite a punitive amount on what you paid though.

Cheers,

Vic

I have heard of the winder and looked it up for a squint, good solid metal construction - good machinery. 

I remember winding the spring in by hand on that little carriage clock I sorted out a while ago and it was just about do able with one leather glove and one plastic glove and safety specs - I shall not be rushing to try a larger springed device like you are used to.  It would be difficult if not impossible by hand and a tad dodgy as well, the larger springs would need the Ollie Baker and as that is your meat and taties it was indeed a great deal.

Cheers,

Vic