Little dryer hack new people might like + Is Birddad a hairspring serial killer?! 😬😬😬

3 hours ago, Birbdad said:

Yet again it's a bit collapsed on the same side.Β 

That is normal. One has to judge if a that bit is too much by observing how uneven the "breathing" is, and how the hairsping sits and moves within the pins. If needed, a small final correction is done with the watch running on the timegrapher. Yes, that's easier said than done for beginner or advanced.

18 hours ago, dadistic said:

Condensation is not a problem, until it's a problem πŸ™‚

It's been a problem for me.Β 

If you work in an air conditioned or low humidity environment,Β  IPA drying will not likely drop the temp of the part below the dew point, so no water on the part.Β 

I don't have air conditioning,Β  and the dew point can become quite high here. Heated drying eliminates the possibility of your parts ending up with a film of water on them.

Cheers!

I can agree with something you have here Dave. A couple of nights ago i was removing rust from watch stem threads with vinegar. As we know vinegar is a great rust remover but is still mainly substance composed of the H2O variety. With that in mind the stem was dried and then left for a few mins to soak in IPA, removed placed on watch paper and blow dried with a puffer. 24 hours later the stem had fine rust patches on its surface. ?

Sounds like the same kind of problem that I've experienced. Condensation was the only thing that I could think of that would cause that kind of problem. Since I always use a bit 'o heat now, the problem hasn't recurred.Β  Not proof, but having a bit of heat handy is easy enough.

Β 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dadistic said:

Sounds like the same kind of problem that I've experienced. Condensation was the only thing that I could think of that would cause that kind of problem. Since I always use a bit 'o heat now, the problem hasn't recurred.Β  Not proof, but having a bit of heat handy is easy enough.

Β 

It was really a one off case as i was only sorting the stem. I normally use a very small slow cooker to dry parts that heats to around 50Β  degree celcius without the lid on.Β 

• Like 1

This video might help understand the importance of the position of the hairspring between the regulator pins and how critical the position of the collet in relation to the top balance jewel hole whilst moving the regulator arm

Β 

• 2 weeks later...