Balance wheel doesn't work while gear train is ok

7 hours ago, BlueHarp said:

And that is a good way to make progress in English as well as getting the vocabulary about watch making.

actually watch repair is problematic as to a way of learning English. In the early days before YouTube you had books and if you look at a British book for instance in the American book you would notice terminology differences. Then you look at what the Swiss are doing throw in vintage American and you can end up with a few parts that have several different actual names and all of them are valid depending upon where you are and when you think you are.: And for instance may be go to school in Switzerland read their literature and yes terminology becomes quite amusing. This is where I know the local college test them on terminology and sometimes the students will work with the shop I'm working on enema ASPI will party is no described the name and I have to go what what you talking about because I'm not necessarily using the proper Swiss terminology which they are being tested on.

7 hours ago, BlueHarp said:

I won't try any longer to get watches in good repair on eBay, but rather watches which are good-looking but which need a look inside.

yes the ministries of eBay as far as watches go. I always find it humorous to look at the seller who is selling a service to watch then they show the timing machine and usually that's always good for a laugh as maybe there confused and showing us the before image. So I do always wonder with the definition of serviced I have seen discussion that basically that means they touched it and it was running at the time they rode up that they had serviced.

Then it's quite conceivable but also risky is to divide older complete watch that looks like it hasn't been touched in 50 years that it may just actually be cleaning. Because the old lubricant Scott sticky the timepiece stopped and it's been sitting at a stopped condition ever since so they may just need cleaning and possibly a new mainspring.

The worst of course to buy our watches lubricated with modern lubricants that don't get sticky and allow some way to run their watch right into the ground and basically disintegrate their watch. This is common with a lot of automatic watches that have metal on metal bearings people are very proud to have grandfathers automatic and they've never paid a greedy watchmaker and it's running just grades and one that stops and then they wonder why to the cost well it's got cost a lot to restore that back to its original condition because it should've been serviced.

That means basically on eBay you can never tell what you're going to get a hidden gem that's not going a lot or something totally worn out and of course the seller knows nothing about the condition even though they just sell watches.