Hello again.

This is a really interesting and engrossing hobby. I'm able to disassemble, assemble and get a watch running. Using a smartphone time checker. Good fun.

However, my cleaning needs advice. At present I use an Ultrasonic machine.

I place the parts in containers and cover them with lighter fluid. I place the container, sealed into the ultrasonic and agitate for 10 minutes. I remove the container and then remove the parts, placing them onto paper to lose some of the liquid. I allow them to dry for 24 hours. I then begin my rebuild.

Does some grease residue remain on the parts? Should I wash the parts again?

I can purchase some IPA. If I use this, is it just a soak, or can I place all in a container as before and use the Ultrasonic machine? I know enough not the put the pallet fork and the balance complete into the IPA.

Hope I've explained myself lucidly and that you can assist me.

Thank you

Ross

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

How powerful is your ultrasonic? 10 mins is probably more than enough. I use 5 mins for cleaning, and 3 for rinsing.

Yes, lighter fluid does leave a residue, you should use IPA for rinsing.  When I used IPA I did 3 mins in the ultrasonic, and just 1 min for pallet and balance. Do NOT worry about dissolving old shellac !

After years of using refined Naphtha, IPA, I switched this year to proper cleaners - Elma WF Pro cleaner and Elma Suprol Pro rinse. I got the Elma as you can buy it in 2.5L size, so not too expensive, and it will last me years. (For each watch I use about 40ml of fluid in a glass beaker sat in the ultrasonic. So the total cost of cleaning+rinsing is about £1 per watch)

The WF Pro cleans much better than naphtha, and leaves parts shining. And with the rinse there's no need to worry about dissolving shellac.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can recommend  L&R UF Watch Cleaner followed by L&R Ultrasonic Watch Rinse in glass jars in an ultrasonic. I usually put everything in apart from the face. clean for 60sec, remove and peg out jewels followed by another 30sec clean. Then 30sec in rinse 1, 30sec in rinse 2 and dried at 45c in a desktop drying oven. For the face I place it in a denture cleaning pot with a little warm water and a Steradent tablet and gently wipe with a cotton bud and dry in the drying oven.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

After years of using refined Naphtha, IPA, I switched this year to proper cleaners - Elma WF Pro cleaner and Elma Suprol Pro rinse. I got the Elma as you can buy it in 2.5L size, so not too expensive, and it will last me years. (For each watch I use about 40ml of fluid in a glass beaker sat in the ultrasonic. So the total cost of cleaning+rinsing is about £1 per watch)

The WF Pro cleans much better than naphtha, and leaves parts shining. And with the rinse there's no need to worry about dissolving shellac.

I have looked in ebay for the WF Pro but to no avail. Found it on CousinsUk site.

Many thanks

Ross

2 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

I have looked in ebay for the WF Pro but to no avail. Found it on CousinsUk site.

Many thanks

Ross

If you are in the UK, I buy it from Cousins. The L&R cleaner/rinse only comes in 3.8L sizes - hence more expensive.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Why do you need 2 rinses? And a drying oven! The rinse evaporates quite quickly. 

To ensure all the cleaning fluid has been removed. The first rinse becomes contaminated with the cleaning solution quite quickly. It's all about dilution. 

I used to use a hand blower to dry but about 3 months ago I had a little accident on the farm and now my right wrist clicks and using the blower constantly hurts quite a bit so I moved over to a fruit drying oven. I find the rinse on say a flat plate does dry quickly but anywhere that it can pool like the inside of the barrel or inside a chain cone can take a very long time without encouragement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skyfiller said:

To ensure all the cleaning fluid has been removed. The first rinse becomes contaminated with the cleaning solution quite quickly. It's all about dilution. 

I used to use a hand blower to dry but about 3 months ago I had a little accident on the farm and now my right wrist clicks and using the blower constantly hurts quite a bit so I moved over to a fruit drying oven. I find the rinse on say a flat plate does dry quickly but anywhere that it can pool like the inside of the barrel or inside a chain cone can take a very long time without encouragement. 

I use a hand blower to remove most of the cleaner from the parts before the rinse. I believe one rinse is adequate. I dispose of the solutions after each watch.

Make sure your oven is not too hot to melt the shellac !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 12:13 PM, mikepilk said:

I use a hand blower to remove most of the cleaner from the parts before the rinse. I believe one rinse is adequate. I dispose of the solutions after each watch.

Make sure your oven is not too hot to melt the shellac !

Oven is set at 45 °C. I believe shellac has a melting point of 75 °C

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Many thanks

Ross

This is what i use ross from cousins only a little bit more expensive than shop bought lighter fluid. Also in an ultrasonic as well as a homemade rotary machine. The tub of ipa for a rinse. Which is much cheaper than elma rinse. Dont let the balance or pallet fork soak in the ipa though, a couple of minutes only. And maybe not at all on a new watch that may have a different adhesive for holding the jewels in place. And btw I'm loving your enthusiasm mate 👍 

16581348028265465839340893258332.jpg

16581348332722487657824628817591.jpg

• Like 1