Hey all!

I am just getting started in my watchmaking hobby. My first project is a Bulova that has a broken stem. Crown is still there. 

my questions:

should I replace the entire stem? And how can I figure out what stem to use? Or should I go with a stem extender and if so, how do I figure out what one to use?

Thanks so much! 
pics below to help 

the case says: B8 : c835257 : 96b217 : 23025237

Super GM10

image.jpg

image.jpg

Perhaps a photo of the broken stem will help. If there are insufficient threads to screw on an extension, then a replacement stem is the only choice.

Measure the diameter of the winding stem. Most watches are 0.9mm. You'll need to get an extension and crown of the same size. Assuming that the winding stem is broken off at the crown. But you could dissolve out the broken stem in alum if you really want to save it.

22 hours ago, Gtpmartin said:

My first project is a Bulova that has a broken stem. Crown is still there. 

picture would be nice so we know what you're looking at and don't have to guess. Is there any remaining stem in the crown? Often times of break off flush with the crown and getting that out not impossible but challenging

then the stem is a movement component. Those can be ordered based on the movement number it would've been nice to have a picture of the movements and the number.

22 hours ago, Gtpmartin said:

Super GM10

okay it looks like that's the movement number worst-case and get an entire new movement although there will be some issues with you have to get the right one for the right-hand heights of your movements find don't worry about that as they come in variations

https://www.amazon.com/MIYOTA-GM10-Genuine-Quartz-Movement/dp/B0088060OO

and here's a website that shows the movement components although just because it's listed doesn't mean it's available seeing as how cheap the movement is I doubt that most of these parts are going to be available even if they are listed

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=MIY_GM10

oh and this is providing the GM 10 is the right movement.

then when you get the stamina number he can go into a slightly different part of the website up above look up your stem number and purchase a stem. But I'm not putting on the page of the stamina putting on the page which shows you to get an entire movement with a bonus stem and spare parts which might be needed depending upon if the stem really broke or if the watch broke lot at times and really cheap plastic watches in trouble components get broken if the stem is broken

http://www.julesborel.com/home?search=+065-543I