Smiths 1970 Pocket watch servicing tips needed

Hi all.

The curse (and sometimes blessing) of getting into watch repairs is that you quickly become known amongst your circle of friends and Family as the resident watch expert 🙄 so there can be an endless supply of watches to learn on, most sadly being Quartz watches that just need a new battery but I do still see the odd mechanical one as well.

A friend of my Son has just asked me to look at two of his, two it turned out at different ends of the quality scale, on an old Made in Great Britain Smiths Pocket watch from 1970 and the other a TAG Heuer Aquaracer.

The Smiths works but has a very low amplitude so suspect it just needs a service (More on that in a minute) the TAG only runs for a few seconds when shaken.  It turns out the owner was giving it a good shake when it flew out of his hand and it hit the wall (Ouch) so maybe a bent or broken pivot, will find out when I strip it down.

Now back to the Smiths, I took the back off and to me it looks like its not going to be an easy job just to carry out a simple service, I know some of you would have done these in the past any tips on how to proceed with the no jewel pin pallet watch.

Is it even serviceable.

Pictures below, thanks for any help with this

Paul

20220623_143209-SharpenAI-Focus.thumb.jpg.e3f32a741e9a147740a38bd98c95f8e6.jpg

20220623_143217-SharpenAI-Focus.thumb.jpg.28386be6fd40b5396c29b8578f82d58e.jpg20220623_143246-SharpenAI-Focus.thumb.jpg.55c801eda19c6acc8384945cd8df8e57.jpg

20220623_143246-SharpenAI-Focus.jpg

20220623_143226-SharpenAI-Focus.jpg

Hi Paul.

I think that in the case of the Smith's,..you are lucky. It has actual screws that hold the plates together, vs. "tabs' that many of these style of watches have.

I would just disassemble and keep sections separated for ease of reassembly, then clean -re lubricate as well as you can using the normal methods.

That's a nice looking TAG,.....I hope you get it sorted out

Randy

Hi paul, 

Servicing the Smith, pin pallets will give a chance to appreciate  the significance of oiling pallets.

Its a fixed stud arm so  beat error is created in case hairspring coil is deformed the slightest.  

Try to avoid unpinning the hairspring ( beat error ) 

Check all side shakes and holes for wear. 

Lets hope the old mainspring is OK, saves you £.

Good luck pal

The pivots on the balance staff should be nice and sharp just like a new sharpened pencil for the balance to have a good action. Many wear and look like a well worn pencil causing the action to be extremely sluggish. You wqill need a lathe to sharpen the staff with a small arkansas stone. There is nothing to fear by unpinning the hairspring most have a kink in then which shows where to pin it. Also look at the cups that the balance sits in they can wear, they should be smooth, using a counter sink can remove marks that have worn into the cups. From what I can see it doesn't look as if the holes are worn. Do not try to remove the center wheel, clean the bottom plate with the center wheel attached.    

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1