Eta 7750

I finaly bought an ETA 7750. I have been wanting to work with a chronograph movement for a long time. I finally broke down and bought a new ETA 7750. Very expensive, but nothing compared to purchasing all the additional lubricants. WOW!!

So, now I have it...now what.  Any advice before I start disassemling it? I would also appreciate any advise on a case for it if you have any good ideas.

Thanks.

One tip if you're looking to save some money on lubricants is that you can buy a syringe of Molykote DX on eBay for less money than a full tube from Otto Frei, which is still more than you'll ever need. The other lubricants are just standard watch lubricants. Moebius 9501 is great, I'm sure, but the price has always put me off as a hobbyist. The biggest tip I have is to watch Mark's video on servicing a 7750. The 5 second tip on rotating the cam to the right orientation during assembly is worth watching the entire video.  

One tip if you're looking to save some money on lubricants is that you can buy a syringe of Molykote DX on eBay for less money than a full tube from Otto Frei, which is still more than you'll ever need. The other lubricants are just standard watch lubricants. Moebius 9501 is great, I'm sure, but the price has always put me off as a hobbyist. The biggest tip I have is to watch Mark's video on servicing a 7750. The 5 second tip on rotating the cam to the right orientation during assembly is worth watching the entire video.  

Thanks so much. I never thought to look on Ebay for a small amount. Already found it for $12.95. You saved me a bundle. I will watch the video several times before I start.

Thanks again.

I followed Mark,s vid & excellent it is to. But there is a bit that skips the fitting of the pusher spring (the one that only fits one way). I missed it too and had to re-trace my steps. If you follow the ETA vid there are slight differences in assembly sequence but no bits are skipped. Also ETA have changed the recommended lubricants from D5 to HP1300 etc,etc.

I followed Mark,s vid & excellent it is to. But there is a bit that skips the fitting of the pusher spring (the one that only fits one way). I missed it too and had to re-trace my steps. If you follow the ETA vid there are slight differences in assembly sequence but no bits are skipped. Also ETA have changed the recommended lubricants from D5 to HP1300 etc,etc.

Thanks for the information about the video and the lubricants. Can't wait to start working on the 7750. Presently I am in London for a few days. Nice weather your having. As soon as I get back home I will start on the 7750.

Thanks again.

Hey is it reasonable to add a date feature on a 7750 or just buy one with one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know that there is much of a price break for one without the date so I would just buy one with it. If you ended up with one without the date though, I don't think it would cost too much to add it. Some ETAs I have worked on have the parts for a day or date installed even though they don't have a day function. The day dial for a 7750 is about $13.00. An date wheel will cost about $20.00. Then you will have to piece the rest-jumpers, corrector, driving wheel,etc.

62c6fbdf2135235b0a3e1ed9fa8438b6.jpgd733bd7e5f6fd6e6d34a8b8820c15d21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That movement needs the whole works! You better price all the parts before you buy it. You might be better off just to buy a movement with the date function. It would be a great project though.

Ofrei has a case for around $100.

Will

Thanks. I've seen that one. My only worry is how thick it is. 16mm. I don't want it to look like a can of soup on my wrist. I'm probably going to get that one though. It seems to be the best option. I also found this one from me watch.ch.

http://mdwatch.ch/shop/boitier-et-kits/valjoux-7750-7751/kit-n-d015-a.html

Thanks.

Thanks. I've seen that one. My only worry is how thick it is. 16mm. I don't want it to look like a can of soup on my wrist. I'm probably going to get that one though. It seems to be the best option. I also found this one from me watch.ch.

http://mdwatch.ch/shop/boitier-et-kits/valjoux-7750-7751/kit-n-d015-a.html

Thanks.

You can get slicker ones from a German site - but they're far more expensive!

• 4 weeks later...

Before you start tearing down your expensive ETA 7750, may I suggest you buy an Asian 7750 for practising on first hand.  You will thank me later.

That's probably pretty good advice. I will see if I can find one. Thanks.