Hello from Quebec!

Hello, I’m just getting into the hobby of watch repair. For now I’m still learning and really can’t say that I repair the watchs, unfortunately!

I have won a watch lot of vintage watchs, most of them being Timex from the 70’, but also some nice little gems.

I will mostly post questions about parts, repairs, tools, mouvement identification, etc!

thanks a lot!

Guillaume

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I also agree with @mikepilk and @Waggy. Your readings look good. The amplitude drop between the horizontal postion and the vertical position is nice and low (only 18° difference).  The delta of 17 sec (-3 to +14) between those positions is absolutely ok. If you really wanted to improve on this, I think you'd have to look into the poising of the balance wheel (not the spring, which looks perfect). But that's a total overkill for this kind of movement. Leave it be.
    • I've just finished refurbishing a Memostar Alarm with AS 1931 movement (same as 1945 but with date and running at 21600). I was also surprised how many parts are available at Cousins. Like you, I was missing the alarm stem (Cousins stock them) and I needed new crowns. It's a nice simple movement for an alarm, easier to service than a Seiko Bell-Matic. BTW I made a note in my Servicing spreadsheet: "Pull out winding stem before removal".  It may have just been wear on my movement, but I found that the yoke could move out of the clutch if the stem was removed in the normal position (like some ETAs).  You might find this interesting     
    • I picked up this alarm watch at a flea market several months ago and recently decided to investigate.  I am not finished, but well on my way. As you can see, there was significant water damage.  Running these parts through my L&R cleaner was not enough to clean them, so I did manual cleaning with one-dip and cotton swab (the dense pointed kind).  The wig-wag was stubborn--the two gears would not release from the plate.  I soaked it in Kroil overnight and that did the trick. There was some rust on the balance staff, but not actually on the pivots themselves.  Nevertheless, I chucked it a step-chuck on my lathe and burnished the pivots. The watch is running and I have confirmed that the alarm drive train is functioning.  Since I am missing a stem for the alarm, I have not done the final assemble of the alarm components.  Surprisingly, there are lots of parts available for this movement on Cousins.  I will probably get a couple of stems and maybe some other parts that I deem necessary. The watch is running at weak amplitude (about 190) and shows some poising issues.  I will work on that. The last two pictures are after partial reassembly.    
    • Hello and welcome to the forum.    Enjoy
    • Exactly!  It may not really be a joke, but the actual truth.