Introduction and a question

diderot

I am thrilled to be on this Forum!  My username it Diderot.  I chose this name as it is the name of a syndrome named after Denis Diderot. Many years ago, he found out a purchase of anything often leads to more items to compliment the first. This is me with watches. 

I think I could be described as a senior citizen. I am basing that on I get the senior discounts, but I really do not feel old. My whole life I worked on many different things. I worked on cars, very large machinery, appliances, electronics, but never a watch. Now that I have reached the senior portion of my life, I decided to take up working on watches and small electronics. I can do most of it sitting down, and the climate can be controlled.  I do however have a lot to learn. So far I have completed some small repairs on watches. I have changed quartz movements, and made small adjustments on mechanical movements. My goal is to be able to completely rebuild a mechanical watch. I have been buying watch tools a little at a time. 

I am going to ask a question here. If I am on the wrong forum, please correct me.

A friend (another watch person) gave me 4 very old watches to work on. Three very tiny womans watches, one Wittnauer men's watch. I have discovered for some reason, Wittnauer is my favorite watch. Why? I think the history of the brand. I am guessing it is from the fifties (picture included so correct me on year if needed). The picture shows, the crystal is terrible. Part from age, part from me trying to clean it. I bought 15 Wittnauer crystals online and by my measurements, it looks like at least one will fit. I opened the case and the old crystal pushed out by hand easily (back to front). I am waiting for the new crystal and a leather band. For practice, I tried to re-install the removed crystal. I know round crystals need a tool to compress an acrylic crystal. I am not sure how to do this rectangular crystal. An online search said you can just install with hand pressure. I could not accomplish this. I though I might be able to use two small screwdrivers to pry it in, but of course I do not want to destroy the new crystal.  It seems like no glue was involved. It seems like the long ends fit in the case easily and the smaller ends (12-6 o-clock) are a tension fit.  Please help! Sorry for being long-winded. 

Diderot

IMG_3158.JPG

Hello and welcome to the forum   The crystals are usually plexiglass or acrylic and can be deformed with the fitting tool so they clip in. If no tool then some used Glue,  one method is to lightly file/sand the crystal so that with a little pressure it fit in the case, once done then remove it and using Hypocement or on of the UV curing compounds re fit the crystal. be very sparing with the glue. 

Thrilled at the responses! I will now look at the link from Richard Harris. Love the comeback on Diderot syndrome. I find that I have to put myself on a eBay moratorium every few days or I end out devoting too much time to trying to find the elusive watch.  Thanks for the responses

Sorry, just noticed RH's comment was for reply from watchweasel. And thanks watchweasel for the information

14 minutes ago, diderot said:

I have to put myself on a eBay moratorium every few days or I end out devoting too much time to trying to find the elusive watch

How do you think you do there in the long run?

I've been wondering if I'm going to become an eBay addict to feed my supply of movements to play with.

eBay has been a valuable source for me. This is both with watches and parts. Be prepared though, many watches sell for way too much money. I have bought things such as a Wittnauer watch for $40 (I consider this a good price) But have bid on watches that have just went way over what I want to pay. And, if too inexpensive, I wonder if they are fakes. eBay does guarantee the higher priced watches to be authentic.

If you are looking for watches to play with, every so often there is a box lot of watches that do not work that can be just a few bucks a watch. I have never bought any of that type.

I did just purchase a leather band for $7, crystal glue for $3, and the above mentioned Wittnauer crystals for $15 for 10 new factory crystals. 

The long and short...It is worth a look. Good Luck!!