Stuck movement in the case Roamer Jubile

Hi there,

I just bought a non-runner Roamer Jubile from the 50's, beautiful dial, and cheap.

I removed the case back and the stem, unscrew the retaining screws (one is turning with no resistance, dead thread I think), and .... nothing, the movement is not moving. I removed the glass, in case if it was a front loader, and, you guessed it, nothing. And I am out of ideas, as I don't want to pry the mouvement.

I try to look for a case ring, but it seems not. Do any of you got an idea, a solution, or some experience with the brand/mouvmement?

Cheers,

Nick

IMG_20220501_182901.jpg

IMG_20220502_121653.jpg

IMG_20220502_121703.jpg

IMG_20220502_121730.jpg

IMG_20220502_121749.jpg

IMG_20220502_121806.jpg

Is this a „Mumbai Special“? If so the movement might be press fitted into the wrong case…

To be honest: follow the advise of nickelsilver and remove the bezel!

Edited by Kalanag

Hi, thanks for your replies, I did try to pop up the bezel, but I couldn't find any notch for the knife, but seeing the state of the plating and the case, another scratch won't change a thing. I will try this tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Kalanag said:

Is this a „Mumbai Special“? If so the movement might be press fitted into the wrong case…

To be honest: follow the advise of nickelsilver and remove the bezel!

I hope not, I don't want to force it but I'll have a look at "Mumbai Special", because I never heard of it.

40 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

A beautiful genuine RoAmer " Swiss special "  with MST402 under the hood. 

I can see both dial feet sticking out,  hope they are intact.

So far they seem intact, I'll try my best to keep them that way, but I can't guaranty it!

2 hours ago, BoF said:

So far they seem intact, I'll try my best to keep them that way, but I can't guaranty it!

Once you loosen the screws that hold the feet, alternatively push on dial feet end a little bet, to drive the feet out of the hole its in. You are pushing on feet end one a time to keep both feet parallel as you drive them out of the holes.

Dial feet break if they are bent or vigoreously pulled out, when you push on the feet end you are not pulling and if you keep them paralell you are not bending them. 

Do not pry the dial.

Good luck.

Thank you,

I have use a razor blade (and a glove, safety first!!!), and it works perfectly, the bezel went right away, without a scratch.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:14 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

To remove the bezel, I suggest using a safety razor blade.  It will get under the bezel and you can work your way around.

You were right, once the bezel gone, I flipped the watch and the movement went out smoothly.

On 5/3/2022 at 2:53 PM, nickelsilver said:

Looks like the bezel should come off, then the movement goes out the front.

I'm waiting for a new movement holder, mine is already use for another project, but I'll make sure to follow your steps for the dial. I had a bent foot on a previous project; I managed to rectify it but it was a stressful process.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:17 PM, Nucejoe said:

Once you loosen the screws that hold the feet, alternatively push on dial feet end a little bet, to drive the feet out of the hole its in. You are pushing on feet end one a time to keep both feet parallel as you drive them out of the holes.

Dial feet break if they are bent or vigoreously pulled out, when you push on the feet end you are not pulling and if you keep them paralell you are not bending them. 

Do not pry the dial.

Good luck.

PS: Now that the issue is solved, how can I "close" it? Edit - I found the tick sign on the left.

PS 2: here a picture of the movement by itself, thanks again to all of you!!

Nick

IMG_20220505_213220.jpg

Edited by BoF
Correction of message
  • Like 2