my job lot with a Seiko 5 in it

Hello again so I have put my Orient 1743 on the todo list while some seller's get back to me with hopefully a stem.

I did mention that it was part of a job lot from ebay, well I have a Seiko 5 watch that needs Seiko glass and again Cousins have stopped selling the part I'm after.

So the Seiko is as follows Calibre is 7019 a

I believe the case is 7400 so on the case back it reads 7019-7400

I also have the number 702314 I think this number is 7 is 1970 0 is October and 2314 is the watch addition two thousand three hundred and fourteen in the production run

So I need a case glass of which the part number I think is Glass, Seiko 300W41GC0F but discontinued . also I have searched on ebay and only one item came up in my search and that was sold out again dead end however if it had been in stock would have cost £50.00 with delivery so my next question is is this watch worth that sort of pay out. I bought 7 watches in this lot from ebay at £40.00 but I think the expensive part have been striped from these watches and sold on.

Glass missing from some of the watches, backs missing, stem's missing O'and my favorite a bent nail holding a strap together. 

where should I go from here?

what would you do

To date I haven't gone for partials on eBay (although I did pick up a set of 3 pile of Elgin parts). The first Elgin 313 I purchased had no case but was otherwise complete with a dial and hands. The 2nd version of that I picked up again had no case and no dial or hands but appears to be otherwise complete. The Elgin 409 also is caseless but has a dial and hands. The Buren Grad Prix pocket watch that I'm waiting for is complete but not running.

My strategy (such that it is) has been to look for relatively complete movements to get going. At this point I don't care if there is a case involved.

I think the trick is to be patient and have a couple of specific searches on eBay and look frequently.

You might look at the posted projects of various folks here and see who has been doing Seikos and then reach out and see what they might have laying around for parts.

A pic of the glass perhaps? I buy lots of Seiko 5’s and seldom use Seiko glass. I just buy sapphire glass of the same dimension from Cousins and call it a day. Only for the SKX (heavily chamfered) and a Black Knight (domed) was I forced to get original Seiko glass. Unless there’s something unique about this glass? 

11 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Gbyleveldt I don't have any glass on this watch to show you a image of it.

like you say sapphire glass from cousins is the way to go 

Ah, I see elsewhere you bought these without glass. If it’s just plane Jane flat glass, buy the sapphire from Cousins. You get them in all sizes and thicknesses. Hopefully the crystal gasket is still there? Else things are going to suck. Why not post a pic of the watch if you don’t mind?

Both these watches has Cousins sapphire on them, and both 3mm thick

B680DC04-0CA7-425E-A65D-CB0AE85B59BF.thumb.jpeg.cc978e3c265cb8afe1a3ef6d919374e0.jpeg
40CB0E3C-BBA8-460D-A583-98530608020F.jpeg.9fcc1303eb11d5a7e56bde9c8f1616d2.jpeg

Edited by gbyleveldt
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tiny said:

Hello again so I have put my Orient 1743 on the todo list while some seller's get back to me with hopefully a stem.

I did mention that it was part of a job lot from ebay, well I have a Seiko 5 watch that needs Seiko glass and again Cousins have stopped selling the part I'm after.

So the Seiko is as follows Calibre is 7019 a

I believe the case is 7400 so on the case back it reads 7019-7400

I also have the number 702314 I think this number is 7 is 1970 0 is October and 2314 is the watch addition two thousand three hundred and fourteen in the production run

So I need a case glass of which the part number I think is Glass, Seiko 300W41GC0F but discontinued . also I have searched on ebay and only one item came up in my search and that was sold out again dead end however if it had been in stock would have cost £50.00 with delivery so my next question is is this watch worth that sort of pay out. I bought 7 watches in this lot from ebay at £40.00 but I think the expensive part have been striped from these watches and sold on.

Glass missing from some of the watches, backs missing, stem's missing O'and my favorite a bent nail holding a strap together. 

where should I go from here?

what would you do

You can buy from cousins generic glasses to fit. As long as you can aquire the size you need. Generally ordering a size above and below. I'll have a quick look for you as regs  to price. Mineral  glasses are around 1.50. I've not worked on a seiko but I have a few new ones. Someone will help you with that.  But I would think a generic would be fine, you could go up a level and put a sapphire on it.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

The 7 is the last digit of the year, so this watch is from 1977.  It could be 1967 or 1987, etc. but that there is a 70s watch!  I think the 2nd digit, from your picture, is a D for December, and not an O.

There is a nice Seiko date finder here, https://retroseiko.com/seiko-serial.htm  it takes the movement into account to help narrow down the dates.

The glass isn't just a flat crystal, or it wouldn't be so expensive.  The end of the crystal code, GC0F, I think that might mean "Glass Cut 0=Transparent Faceted/Fancy".

I know the G is for glass and 0 is for transparent.  There's a Seiko doc that explains that part.  The C for cut and F for fancy is just my guess, based on a bunch of different Seiko crystals.  We know from Seiko that the "C" is for the finish and the "F" is a shape or color subcode, but not exactly what finish type C and shape subcode F mean.

Looks like this guy has two on ebay, but it'll cost you!

There are some good pictures of what it is supposed to look like here.  That watch (not yours, sorry!) looks in really good shape, yet I don't see the facets in the crystal, odd.  Like it was never worn but the crystal was replaced?

It also looks like you might be missing the bezel for the outside of crystal?

The case and band ought to clean up ok.  The brushed finish, all stainless with no base metal, is very restorable.  No hands, but the 7019 fits the same hands as a 7S26, and hands for those are popular with modders, as well as still common, so you should be able to get some that look good easily.

The crystal might be replaceable with a 30.0 mmØ flat glass, which is cheap.  I'd guess thickish, maybe 2 mm?  Won't look original of course.  A single dome might look better, like these on ebay, of which there are many sellers.

• Like 1

@XYZZY

I would first thank you for your detailed reply lots of information.

But now i'm a bit worried about your statement " you have parts missing" from the bezel 

just let me list the parts I have

outer metal bezel

Flat black nylon gasket

one round o'ring and the case. I can't find anymore information of any other parts that make up the  anatomy of the bezel and glass fitting.

would you be able to show if possible the part you think I'm missing 

5 hours ago, Tiny said:

@XYZZY

I would first thank you for your detailed reply lots of information.

But now i'm a bit worried about your statement " you have parts missing" from the bezel 

outer metal bezel

Flat black nylon gasket

one round o'ring and the case. I can't find anymore information of any other parts that make up the  anatomy of the bezel and glass fitting.

would you be able to show if possible the part you think I'm missing 

Eyup Tiny. Looks like you've found your man to help you,  nice one matey. Im Just doing random posts I need to get rid of this bloody  title. Lol

So I've been stripping down the case today and removed the dial. The wife looked at the case and said your not buying second hand anymore.

20220422_161213.thumb.jpg.4031f86400f056d37f6b70d376796e24.jpg

I think it needs a over night bath.

S20220422_0001.jpg.4c8b90721525745944afda67aa979a09.jpg

When I removed the dial I noticed I break in the mounting ring (think that what it's called) would you glue it or replace it.

I would like to replace the hands as they all bent from the bubble wrap and the fact that the glass was missing. I am going to replace the bracelet as it's all bent and most of the links are damaged 

Glass should arrive in June.

But I may still order the original shape, I'm not sure yet

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tiny said:

So I've been stripping down the case today and removed the dial. The wife looked at the case and said your not buying second hand anymore.

20220422_161213.thumb.jpg.4031f86400f056d37f6b70d376796e24.jpg

I think it needs a over night bath.

S20220422_0001.jpg.4c8b90721525745944afda67aa979a09.jpg

When I removed the dial I noticed I break in the mounting ring (think that what it's called) would you glue it or replace it.

I would like to replace the hands as they all bent from the bubble wrap and the fact that the glass was missing. I am going to replace the bracelet as it's all bent and most of the links are damaged 

Glass should arrive in June.

But I may still order the original shape, I'm not sure yet

Is this your seiko 5 Tiny. Second hand is always risky, but the more you do the better you will get at it.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

We will see if I can strip down and reassemble the movement if that all goes well then I will buy the Original glass there's no point in buy genuine parts if I can't get the movement working.

ESP at £50.00 for the glass delivered

I think a new original bracelet is another £75.00 🤑

5 minutes ago, Tiny said:

We will see if I can strip down and reassemble the movement if that all goes well then I will buy the Original glass there's no point in buy genuine parts if I can't get the movement working.

ESP at £50.00 for the glass delivered

I think a new original bracelet is another £75.00 🤑

Very true. Its making it an expensive  restoration though. Does the value matter or is it about that you want to wear something  that you've restored  ?

it's all about the restoring it to the best of my ability. Restoring a little bit of history.

making something better and some think to be proud off. However the poor watch wasn't loved by anyone the owned it before by the looks off the case. but it's about 45 years old. It may have been someone special gift and some stage maybe a coming of age gift a wedding present.

So with out striping it down I have noticed the rotor is very stiff and the day dial didn't move also the key work felt like it had a lot of give in it. 

has anyone go any insight to what the problem's could be with the movement ?  

Edited by Tiny
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tiny said:

it's all about the restoring it to the best of my ability. Restoring a little bit of history.

making something better and some think to be proud off. However the poor watch wasn't loved by anyone the owned it before by the looks off the case. but it's about 45 years old. It may have been someone special gift and some stage maybe a coming of age gift a wedding present.

So with out striping it down I have noticed the rotor is very stiff and the day dial didn't move also the key work felt like it had a lot of give in it. 

has anyone go any insight to what the problem's could be with the movement ?  

Aw bless you Tiny, I have same exactly the same senimetal thoughts about my vintage restorations,  I get really emotionally attached to some of them.  and often wonder if it was a gift. My intent was to try make a little money to supplement my pension, but I can't bring my self to let any of them go especially  the old ones. Hence my profile name. You have literally  made me cry and now my eyes are stinging. I often have random dreams of people after a full day of repairing a watch, maybe some sort of object connection, with being so closely involved  with it. But that's a whole  different discussion. Anyways your watch, it could well be a plethora of issues (had a dictionary for breakfast and it's repeating  on me). A pro would give you a couple  of ideas possibly. Start stripping it down to see what you can find, looking for wear and anything obvious. If rotor is stiff then maybe it's bearings. As you know the keyless works operate the dial rings, so likely  connected. You know to take photos with ease step to help you reassemble. Don't try to rely on your memory  too much, I'm practising this but its bloody hard. I striped one down the other day and was brave taking no photos. It took me nearly an hour to remember  how a return spring went back in, it was a wierd design. So don't do that.

Well after a over night bath with a sonic shower finish with a G&T no ice lol

looks much cleaner now. cleaned and showing damage. 

would this watch have a grain finish, satin, or mirror finish but most of all how would you finish this case? 

only asking because I am a new bee

20220423_102831.thumb.jpg.509e54f4bf186e99d42afd034e6428b9.jpg20220423_102405.thumb.jpg.74226fb23d674d10cdd8587ad08f8d3d.jpg

Edited by Tiny
opps forgot photos

On 4/22/2022 at 5:07 AM, Tiny said:

outer metal bezel

Flat black nylon gasket

Screenshot_20220424_120022.png.3667608bdd4689bb331fce1c4409e970.png

The red arrow is the bezel.  I didn't see that in your picture of parts, but it sounds like you have that.  The yellow arrow points to the rehaut.  I think I see this in the middle of the left column in your parts picture.   Maybe the bezel is under it?

There should be a plastic gasket between the crystal and where it sits, and also a gasket between the bezel and the case.  They will be plastic, maybe white, clear, or black.  There should also be a gasket between the case back and the case, which will be rubber and almost certainly black.  It should be flat or an O-ring.

The crystal might fit into the bezel, or it might fit into the case, Seiko uses both types of construction.  I can't get a good look in the pictures.

Here are another set of pictures from an auction.  That one looks like it's been polished.  Notice how rounded the edges of the case are compared to other watch from my 1st post.  I think someone tried to restore it by jamming it against a buffing wheel for a hour or two.  Not a fan of how that one looks.

The link in my 1st post is what I think the original finish would have looked like.  It's brushed: horizontal on the watch face and bracelet large links.  This is easy to do.  The bracelet small links look either polished or chrome plated.  The sides of the case look brushed too, lengthwise.  The bezel is either polished or chrome plated.