Balance install tips?

Hi,

I’m working on a simple pocket watch movement and am having a very hard time getting the impulse jewel into the pallet cock fork and then getting the pivots into the jewels and every thing staying in place, especially the impulse jewel. 
I’ve performed this several times on other watches, but this one is just being a pain ( not that they all weren’t a pain). 
Im a novice and would appreciate any tips, tricks you guys use to make this more simple. 
Thanks much,

Bill. 
the below photo is before I installed the pallet cock.  
CECA0535-D0C9-4E63-9650-664B82D63711.thumb.jpeg.72b712ed1c304d70a7bebb6c78737245.jpeg

Hi What I doand hav little trouble is to align the fork to the out stde edge of the watch pick up the balance on the dangle and slip it in to the fork and then lower into the lower jewel, usually works but not always, just takes a steady hand and patience. I suppose we all have our own way of doing it.

• Like 1

Depending on the movement, you might instal just the train gears and its bridge first, you would have access to gears from both sides of the bridge, next test the train and if its alright proceed with putting in the barrel  and its bridge then. Sometimes you might need to loosen the screws to the train bridge a bit to slide the barrel in.

You do not need to fit the balance with the impulse jewel between the horns on the pallet fork. I don't know anyone who does that.

Try setting the fork to one side or the other. Then bring the balance into position and drop the lower pivot into place, but rotated 90 degrees, so the impulse jewel is well outside the fork, in the direction you set it. Now carefully rotate the cock into position and get the upper pivot into it's hole.

• Like 2