Latch Spring for a English Lever Double Bottom case

Hi everyone,

Sorry for being quiet, just busy with work, kids and watches (which I will spend an evening photographing the collection / fixings).

Does anyone know of anyone that stocks latch springs in the UK? I know of daveswatchparts in the US but was hoping there was someone that sold old pocket watch parts in the uk? Or can you buy new or NOS universal ones still?

Its for a beautiful 1873 Fusee that needs a fair bit of TLC.

Many thanks, Charlie

257525152_Photo29-03-2022222749.thumb.jpg.b773f02b0f5cc5f78e9c5a7f80659bd9.jpg

Let others feel free to answer also, because I can make no promises, but I possess a bunch of old latch springs.  I could send you a private message, wherein I would request the most accurate measurements you could make (thickness, length, width of latch section, etc) and a tracing on paper of the spring which you could scan and attach or mail to me, and high resolution photographs. 

Don't stop looking though.  There are a great many different kinds of latch springs. 

• Thanks 1

This will be like looking for a needle in a haystack no two are the same. I have seen them on ebay in collections of old watch parts. One of the reasons you find they are without the case is the cases get sold for scrap and all parts that are not silver or gold have to be removed because they add weight no matter how little. You might find one you can adapt but getting it to fit correctly and the screw hole to line up will be hard I don't know of a tap that small that you can buy and I haven't a clue what thread it would be, something odd that's for sure.   

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

... One of the reasons you find they are without the case is the cases get sold for scrap and all parts that are not silver or gold have to be removed because they add weight no matter how little. 

Scrappers break my heart sometimes.  A few of them have ethics, and they try to ensure that the watch they scrap is a non-runner that is mostly beyond hope.  But some I swear will scrap a watch that may only need a good cleaning.
Either way, OH says it better than I can.  Even if we locate a latch spring that could possibly fit and may do the job, it will almost certainly have to be modified in some way.  I've only gotten lucky a couple times, and I still had to file down a couple surfaces and drill a new pin hole before the spring was set to do the job.  It would have only been *slightly* more difficult to make a new spring.  That's the sort of task you'd be facing.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the advice, so very little chance then. Think the easiest would to make one from scratch then as all the parts are there. Whoever broke it kindly popped the broken off piece in the back of the case. Can go in the long line of projects!

Managed to buy 60 movements off of ebay for £1 each for spares but recon 50 odd are good projects to learn repairs on and are salvageable. Started my first movement from this lot this week and had to learn how to rivet my first fusee chain (I added the hook) and slightly straighten a pivot. I'm amazed at how little information on the web there is on repairing fusee chains. Pleased to add that it all worked out and is ticking along nicely 🙂

612230600_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.bcb0f2b7d05521186ea0a5e3f9488846.jpg1481740775_firstrivet2.jpg.1f2b6f06665aaf54f2c33e014e3ec304.jpg1432911454_Photo05-04-2022182556(1).thumb.jpg.9da24769324d5aa0bcb2a869c556a592.jpg