Seiko Ufo

Hey,

I changed the crystal on a Seiko Ufo. Everything seemed straightforward.
Looks really great now.

Everything was well with the watch only the top button was jammed. I thought there might be some dirt but when I took it apart ist was all proper and cleaned.. maybe needs some grease. I did not put any.

Now I realize that the movement is jammed. Bummer. I did not do anything much that could bend the mechanism.. but still think it might be a possiblity.

Do you think I can take it out and test without casing? Can I still attach the crown only and check if it has to do with a spacer?

This document helped me alot to find all the parts:

Thank you.

It's always a good idea to post photos of the watch & movement you are talking about, to illustrate the problem you are having. This will help people to understand, and they will be more likely to offer help. It makes it easier and less tiresome for everyone. Also, it is worth making an effort to learn the correct terminology, and to use it when posting. Don't worry too much about it at this stage. It takes a while to pick up.

I didn't know what a Seiko UFO is, so I had to look it up. There seem to be a whole range of them. When you are talking about the jammed top button, do you mean the start/stop pusher on a chronograph version? The 7005 is not a chronograph movement, so it will be of limited use in identifying parts, if yours is a chronograph.

Yes, you can, and should, check the movement outside of the case. I'm not sure what you mean by your last question about the crown and a spacer.

There seems to be a common problem that the pushers can be stuck, so working but do not get out. I looked at the springs but they were fine, I was able to push the pushers also manually.

Think this watch would require a bit of professional servicing maybe lube or something I cannot do. The date did also not move correctly. Day moved well, Number is stuck.

I would be interested what a new movement or service would cost?
Also if someone can be interested even if it has some flaws to fix it or merge with another one from that time?

That balance wheel is distorted in the video. Look at that up and down oscillation. How was the time keeping? 

If the pushers slide without the movement in and the gaskets are not hard then the movement needs a service.

Also make sure there is no crud inside the pushers or around the case holes they sit in.

Edited by Melt
  • Like 1

It definitely needs a service from someone who knows what they are doing. As Melt points out, the balance wheel is not true and needs to be straightened or replaced. The case and pushers will need cleaning and lubricating, as will the movement. The cause of the stuck date wheel will become clear when the movement is stripped. Other than that, it looks to be in good condition with a lot of potential. I would concentrate on getting a competent service. I don't see any need to swap the entire movement.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, friendofdop said:

I found a handy pricelist from Seiko and will ask for a quote there now.

I doubt very much that Seiko AT will service your watch, reason given "no parts available", or "discontinued", or "we only work on the calibers specified in our price list". Let us know.