Help with caseback on Joshua and Sons - automatic/quartz combo.

Mason

Hi all - I attached some photos of this tripe dial Joshua and Sons watch.  The large movement is automatic and the two small 2nd and 3rd timezone dials are quartz.  My problem is figuring out how to open the back to replace the batteries.  I can't get a bite on the small screws to get them to turn and now I am thinking maybe they are fake and the caseback is actually pressed on?  I do not see a gap between the caseback and the body anywhere though and a little bit of careful prying with my case knife didn't seem to budge it -  so I am at a loss.  Any help would be appreciated! 

Thank you, IMG_20220216_164302.thumb.jpg.9e3bfcf2bd74ec1c480d6362eb1d2a0e.jpgIMG_20220216_164257.thumb.jpg.bca1ebe030e28946c0e2a24bedd6e183.jpgIMG_20220216_164346.thumb.jpg.c2019ed04b2e4ae9cecef7c01b229642.jpgIMG_20220216_164353.thumb.jpg.3bc2ba1623ba27c6106ac0098282773e.jpgMason

IMG_20220216_165915.jpg

IMG_20220216_165905.jpg

7 hours ago, Mason said:

they are fake and the caseback is actually pressed on?

Yes, that is normal on fashion watches.

7 hours ago, Mason said:

I do not see a gap between the caseback and the body anywhere though and a little bit of careful prying with my case knife didn't seem to budge it - 

Often asked by beginners. You need to use sharp tool like an x-acto knife, or a sharp Seiko type opener going slowly around before prying. I recommend these rather than razor blades which are not horological tools and not safe.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Often asked by beginners. You need to use sharp tool like an x-acto knife, or a sharp Seiko type opener going slowly around before prying. I recommend these rather than razor blades which are not horological tools and not safe.

Hi No sharp tool used to open casebacks is without its dangers, So take the appropriate precautions. The idea is to open enough of a gap to get the case knife in to complete the job.

3 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

No sharp tool used to open casebacks is without its dangers, So take the appropriate precautions. 

Correct. I never cut myself opening a watch, yet I recommend to use a case holder and a tool with an handle because that makes it easier and is not an improvising approach. 

Thank you for your replies.  I did get the caseback off - the small gap was on the 6 end of the case back hidden a bit by the strap there.  Yes, I use a case holder and I have the correct tools - those fake screws threw me of although now it seems quite obvious. 

When I got the back off there is a metal plate that needs to come out but it is held down by the crown stem - or so I thought.  I spent a lot of time looking for the detente or release point but could not find it.  Finally after gently maneuveing it I was able to wriggle it off past the stem - there is a very narrow opening to get it past the stem.  Now I can finally change the 2 timezone batteries.  However, if you could take a look at the pics - I would still really like to know  where that stem release point is.  I tried loosening - very cautiously the nearby screws but that did not do it and I carefully prodded around the stem area but don't find a lever or push point.   Thanks for your help!

IMG_20220217_103236.thumb.jpg.b70e17bbee8d6959712c3f95eed525df.jpgIMG_20220217_001401.thumb.jpg.552afc0bf0a47c77ee73b23b50b3b345.jpgIMG_20220217_001258.thumb.jpg.ab5f627bfd95f9d1d34faf244016f2e0.jpgIMG_20220217_103251.thumb.jpg.e3d35ef243ca0e249bd91b05491d4af1.jpg

Good show,  the movements are miyota 5Y20's  On some you have to pull the stem to setting position and a small tab pops out press the tab to release the stem  on others there is a small hole in the plate if you peer though the hole and pull the stem you will see the release lever move. there is also a legend with arrow pointing to a hole saying push.  all are common methods,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Good show,  the movements are miyota 5Y20's  On some you have to pull the stem to setting position and a small tab pops out press the tab to release the stem  on others there is a small hole in the plate if you peer though the hole and pull the stem you will see the release lever move. there is also a legend with arrow pointing to a hole saying push.  all are common methods,

Appreciate your response but the problem is that I do not see any of the things you mention.  Gently probing in the open holes or pushing on various areas near the stem do not move.  When I push the stem in and out I see no movement anywhere except the stem near the crown - no levers moving, etc.  I tried to show a close up of the movement hoping someone might be able to identify the spot?  Its quite infuriating - I have examined it many times now and can't find it.  Thanks again.

Edited by Mason
Add

2 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I think you press here.  There is a tiny triangle...aka...arrow.

2022-02-17 21_29_02-IMG_20220217_001258.jpg.b6a1c2401bbeaf9b9ee9166aa8249571.jpg (JPEG Image, 1440 ×.png

Hi- that is one of the small quartz dials - I am wanting to remove the stem from the automatic movement. Here are a few more closeups.  I did see a lever move when pulling out the crown that stops the escapement but there doesn't appear to be a way to push it or pull it without messing something up - the general area shown in red circle.  No tabs pop up, none of the holes has an arrow - I have probed all of them - I attached a few more pics for better closeup of the movement.  I don't usually give up on stuff but since I can replace the batteries now I am thinking I will probably let this one go if I don't find it soon.  😉 Thanks for your help!

Capture.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

6 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  I have a few 5Y20/30 movements in the scrap box I will have a look today and report back. usually there is no problem.

Thanks - I got it now - that little button is probably obvious to the trained eye....this is has been a good learning experience for me - and since its just a cheapie Chinese movement I wasn't worried too much about doing something wrong.  Cheers!