Good evening all,

I am trying to make a burnisher in lieu of buying one of the expensive combination pivot file/burnishers i see online.  I bought the $14 hardened steel burnisher at timesavers to work with.  The burnisher is perfectly smooth so i'm assuming i need to finish it.  I found a couple of written sources about finishing the burnisher using sandpaper on a piece of glass.  I can't find however what grit sandpaper i should be using.  one source just said to use coarse grit on one side of the metal and fine grit on the other.  Does anyone know what grits i should use?  My intention in case that matters is to polish/burnish PW wheel and balance staff pivots.  Thank you.

burnisher.jpg

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forum Aaron.

Glad someone else has asked as I have the same questions myself. I just have to find someone that carries the material for a burnisher in Australia.

I think I know which material may be suitable, but I have seen several recommendation s so it starts getting confusing.

Edited by Michael1962