Basel World Show March 2015 A Few Highlights

After finally having time to read this months BHI mag I found this item Basel world show March 2015 and I have highlighted a few interesting bits..

The Swiss watch manufacturers seem to be going through a uncertain time. Mainly by two significant reasons:

1.The Swiss National bank removed the Swiss Franc peg to the Euro with the result that all swiss watch retail prices will increase by between 10% & 20 % 
2.Sales growth to Asia & mainly China has come to an abrupt halt. This is appears to have happened because a severe crack down on corruption by the Chinese government. Chinese buyers are now thin on the ground

Patek Phiippe has started it’s count down to the opening of a watch Art Grand Exhibition to take place from 27 May to 7 June at the Saatchi Gallery London

New movements
Because of the impending ETA supply on parts & movements new in-house movements are now appearing. Here are a few of note.

Brietling intoduced  it’s first new in-house watch named “Galactic”. It is not a chronograph but it is an innovative world time piece with 56 jewels & an incredible 70 hour power reserve.

Patek Phiippe new calibre is CHR 29-535Q has a pure split-seconds chronograph with stopwatch function. The balance uses four maselots for poising & timing.

Ironically Rolex & NOMOS (Glashutte) who do not need ETA also announced new calibers.

Rolex new calibers are 3255 & 2236. Rolex claim these new calibers are made using new standards delivering new accuracy of +/- 2s/day

NOMOS (Glashutte) latest in-house movement is DUW 3001which is an automatic. It is only 3.2 mm in depth & is flatter than almost anything else on the market.

The other main debate was the impact of Smart watches & how “Smartwatch” concepts will be integrated into traditional mechanical watches. 
In terms of of further “Smartwatch” developments TAG,Google & Intel have announced a partnership to launch a Swiss Smartwatch powered by Intel technology.

Thanks for posting this CB.

I read it and there was a word I had not come across.........Maselots. Having done a quick bit of research I came across this which although slightly different in the spelling, Masselot, is the same thing.

Here you go folks http://ahci.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-/pi-/ti-473641/t-ahci-a-visit-to-de-bethune-perfecting-traditional-watchmaking/ you'll find it near the bottom of the sheet.

Geo I don,t think these are what they are referring to.  I have attached a pic but not good. My scanner is also not good so cannot copy the pic from the mag. I think these twist to adjust weight on each quarter of the balance

post-234-0-72619500-1431366549.png

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.