6/0 42 Movement Alternatives? (WW2 Waltham)

I've got a WW2 era (1941) Waltham wristwatch with the Premier 9 jewel 6/0 42 movement. The balance wheel has a pretty good amount of lateral play and my local repair person wants at least $350 to fix and service it.  I respect his profession and estimate but that's more than I'd like to have into this to get it running.  My thought is I'd try to find out if there's a modern hack movement that exists to swap out and just transfer the dial and hands.

Does such a thing exist? What other budget friendly options do I have?

Other Questions:  This is my first vintage, military, non-working watch.  The movement serial dates to 1941, but what can be said about the unique hands of this watch (mercedes hands?), and does this watch appear to be original in terms of all the components?

45732579-B9B6-4F01-9CEC-D75391840901_1_201_a.jpeg

FA43AFA0-09A4-44B4-B996-E9328E519B01.jpeg

72548F48-144D-4EDE-A4F0-FD46C3E0E56D.jpeg

B8ABFCFD-B735-49EC-B4B0-1D55C8370854.jpeg

01BA451D-1ECA-4801-98B4-37C1E4D96AE1.jpeg

Edited by Winecaster

To understand part of the problem we need to go to the link below and look at the size chart. It's only part of the problem because of the thickness of the movement. So a modern replacement watch would have to be the same size or it could be smaller but the thickness will be wrong.

Because it's a military movement they made a lot of them you could keep an eye on eBay and see if he can find another movement. But the military movements tended to have a hard life and finding  one in good running condition is a bit problematic.

Then from your description of the balance wheel it's probably a broken balance staff and of course a complete overhaul. It's very common for these watches the end up with broken staffs because the balance system is not shock protected like modern watches.

https://blog.esslinger.com/watch-size-ligne-conversion-chart/

• Like 2

That sounds like a fair estimate to be honest, if the balance needs repairing. Did he already take a close look at the watch and describe the work he thinks is necessary? You could get a quote for the same work from somewhere else for comparison. Alternatively, try to find a running example of the same movement. If you swap it for something non-original, you will destroy its value. Your final option, as you are here on this forum, is to do it yourself, but you are looking at much more than 350$ for the tools alone, then you need education and a lot of practice on top of that.

• Like 1

Check the end stones, they generally are domed on the outer side and concave on the inner. The idea is to benefit from the said diference.

End stone on the dial side is set in a retainer plate, remove and flip it over, so to have the domed side of end stone facing balance pivot, you have reduced the end shake.

Though this trick might be frowned upon, it works and extends the life of the staff for a good ten years of running.

Hopefully in future you will have acquired the skill and a staking set to replace the balance staff.

Mark Lovic teaches you how to replace a staff and we are your classmates here. 

Regs

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies everyone!  My first thought after reading responses is to keep an eye out for a loaded balance wheel and see if anything else needs attention during the swap.  What I need to know with that approach is if all Waltham 6/0 balance assemblies work for the ‘42 or if I specifically need to hunt down a ‘42.