Timex Electric with a loose part

ChrisB

I recently acquired this nice linen dialed Timex electric.  It is a back winder.  First thing I noticed is that the hands do not move when I pull out the crown and attempt to set the time.  Upon installing a new battery the balance moves nicely but the second hand is intermittent as are the minute and hour hands. 

I removed the balance/bridge to have a closer look and noticed a rectangular retention clip free and stuck to the magnet.  You can see it in the photos.  Does anyone know what this is and where it goes?  Is it likely responsible for the hand failure to move and intermittency?

In any event I assume I'll have to lift the bridge retaining the gear chain.  I am reluctant to have to do this.  Any advice/ warnings about doing this would be welcome. 

timex electric retention clip movement.jpg

timex electric retention clip.jpg

20220121_084527 (1).jpg

Yes. That's the balance jewel shock spring. 

Try spraying contact cleaner and running the watch overnight. Then soak the movement in lighter fluid, naptha, benzine or whatever you call it....

Taking apart this movement is not for the faint hearted as putting it back together requires pretty advanced dexterity.