Removing Cannon pinion from Westclox pocketwatch?

BillM

I'm rebuilding an old Westclox Dax Pocket watch and I don't know which way the pin comes out of the cannon 

I'm afraid if damaging the gears or bending the main plate if I try to press or otherwise drive the pin the wrong way.

Any ideas?   Thanks, Bill

P1190100.JPG.afb85fe8890b7933e3f0822ee16faaf4.JPGP1190101.JPG.74120862b7b3d0a7b022252514247524.JPG

Sounds like you most likely used an ultrasound to clean the movement.

Firstly, the centre pinion that you see is not a cannon pinion. The slippage in the gear train necessary for setting of the hands is due to the friction pinion assembly on the back side. There should be some kind of spring washer on the arbor pushing against the wheel and pinion, causing friction like a clutch plate.

Cleaning in an ultrasonic bath is so effective that it can remove all the lubrication between the friction parts, causing it to seize up. Sometimes the ultrasonic energy vibrate the contacting parts until they wear depressions into each other's surfaces and lock up the surfaces until they can no longer slide. This is called Brinelling.

You can try putting D5 into the spring washer and work the friction pinion till it can slide again. Hopefully the Brinelling damage isn't too bad.