Vintage IWC case disassembly

handwound

Hello fellow watch repairers,

I recently got this beautiful IWC with the caliber 853:

IMG_4421.thumb.jpg.7af69238e3d00cd324cebc4df671d25a.jpg

On the timegrapher it actually performed quite well, but when I looked at the movement I decided that it could benefit from a service. Problem is, that I can't get it out of the case. I removed the clamps that you can see in the following pictures, but I didn't wanted to leave the case. You could turn the whole movement, but apparently there was no way to lift it out. I also checked, if the part around the movement is actually a movement ring, but it seems to be all solid. 

IMG_4452.thumb.JPEG.82a9ecabd3da77ac5715e9b59f8fb0ef.JPEGIMG_4453.thumb.JPEG.7eba68205e726a32cc31e682cb2acf50.JPEG

So I guessed, that it might be a front loader and you need to remove the bezel to get it out, but it sits absolutely flush with the case and there is no gap to insert a knife. 

IMG_4454.thumb.JPEG.8a768b2e548e32d96a39833756604f05.JPEG

Does anybody have any ideas how I could remove the movement, without ruining the case? Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂 

Thanks in advance!

Hi It could be potentialy a front loader  If so remove the bezel (if no notch) use a sharp blade Ie safty razor blade or stanly. Be very careful and wear a protective glove just in case.  Work your way round the bezel untill you either gain entry or make enough headway to insert a case knife.

• Like 1

Is there a 3-digit case reference number inside the case back? Eg “820”. 

The case will very likely be 3-piece, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a front-load assembly. There will possibly be no lip for the bezel ring which I think is done for aesthetics. Try to squeeze a razor blade in to start it lifting. 

Separate issue, but I would want to correct that buffed finish as it has rounded the edges and doesn’t look right. Even removing the finish would help. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rodabod said:

Is there a 3-digit case reference number inside the case back? Eg “820”. 

The case will very likely be 3-piece, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a front-load assembly. There will possibly be no lip for the bezel ring which I think is done for aesthetics. Try to squeeze a razor blade in to start it lifting. 

Separate issue, but I would want to correct that buffed finish as it has rounded the edges and doesn’t look right. Even removing the finish would help. 

Unfortunately not, I already tried to figure out the reference the last days, but no success. 

I will try removing it with a razor blade 👍

As for the finish: it doesn't really bother me much. Maybe it's also a bit caused by the lighting, in person the brushing is actually really subtle and the edges aren't looking too bad. But in the end it's all personal preference 🙂 

Thanks for your answers!