Dave Pak - New To Watch Repair

DavePak

Hi,
I was retired for two years from an R & D lab and took a part time job in a Jewelry store. The job was for a watch repairman (will train), but the training was very limited.
I find this field very interesting and may have pursued it in my youth. I'm currently working on a Hattori VD85 by replacing the movement but, I'm confused about setting the
"Day" hand. I broke the stem and have to retrieve it before continuing (don't tell the boss). I'm going to tackel the stem retrieval but, would like to know if there is a procedure to

setting and indexing the "Day" hand.

P.S. Mark does such an excellent job with his videos. He gives me the confidence to pursue this career.

Happy to find such a site.

TKS,

Dave.

Hello Dave and welcome from me, I don't know if you have this but hope it helps,

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=Z2xlYXZlYW5kY28uY29tfHRlY2huaWNhbHxneDo3MDMyNTY3MjQ5YjAzYzY5

Cheers,

Vic

Hi Vic,

Good stuff. I responded to clockboy (see post) and maybe it's me but, I have no way to determine where the "Day" hand post is located. I don't know where to place the hand.

Thanks again,

Dave.

Hello Dave,

The PDF shows the dismantling procedure numerically from 1 to 23 and the assembly is from 23 to 1.  It also shows a pic of the dial for your model.  Can you work out where it goes by following the procedure or does it not help.

The only other thing I can suggest is a few pictures of the part and movement so we have a better idea of the problem.  I am sure someone will be able to advise.

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich

Dave,

Can I suggest that you start a separate thread in the help and advice and post the query with some photos there as this thread was started by Stryker11 and there are two separate queries going on at once. I will hook up to your query there.

Cheers,

Vic

"I have no way to determine where the "Day" hand post is located. I don't know where to place the hand."

Dave something occurred to me, I once worked on a Rotary watch that had a Miyota movement and two sub dials plus moonphase and some other pretty useless decorative stuff.  I had not realised that when I removed the tiny hands from the subdial I had effectively decapitated the pinions and the ends were left in the hands.

I had to get a replacement movement as a fix was not feasible. Is the hand post you refer to the pinion and if so is it possible it has been broken off meaning there is no where now to affix the hand.  The pinions I worked on were extremely thin and fragile and any sideways pressure was always going to snap them the hands need to be removed vertically.

Just a thought,

Vic

Sorry guys,

I didn't realize I had 2 posts going. Didn't mean to not respond to some of these posts.

Let me get some pics.

I'm trying to remove the broken stem first without too much disassembly.

Talk to you soon,

Dave

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.