Use of Horia jeweling tool (lever type) for broaching/reaming/staking

ifibrin

Does anyone have any idea if the Horia jeweling tool (lever type) can be used for broaching/reaming/staking?48842F10-2043-4AA3-A795-57153394C869.thumb.jpeg.9779f11beb7e253c598053f71d48348b.jpeg

The more common screw-type Horia jeweling tool doesn’t seem to be able to do broaching/reaming/staking because it doesn’t have a detachable spindle, but the lever type one can have the spindle removed.

On the Horia website, they sell a box set with both the lever type jeweling tool as well as the screw type tool, but it comes with an additional pin vice type spindle, as well as cutting broaches.

84B0D38B-92C9-4236-9F5A-D7A98381337C.jpeg.6b652d1ead8fa917fd754e808031aab4.jpeg4FAFC945-68D9-4D98-AF67-6327A9FEFC7A.jpeg.093273e766d03174a5204eb7b0d58c5c.jpeg

Is this spindle meant to be used as a broach, or a stake in conjunction with a hammer? I can’t find any mention of how this tool is meant to be used in either the Horia website or anywhere else in the internet.

21 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

It holds the reamers/broaches. You can also hold drills and taps. But you wouldn't  hammer on it.

Could you use it as a staking tool as well? There’s no documentation for how this tool and it’s accesories are used on the Horia website.

It could conceivably be made to work as a staking tool, if you make an adapter to reduce the 8mm hole to 4.7mm, and make staking punches and an assortment of stumps to take the place of the anvil plate of a staking tool.

In other words, it isn't meant to be used as a staking tool. I do use them all the time for pressing various things together or apart (besides jewels), things many might do with a staking tool but works better in the Horia (or whatever brand). If I need to rivet a staff or other work requiring a hammer then it's the staking tool.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

It could conceivably be made to work as a staking tool, if you make an adapter to reduce the 8mm hole to 4.7mm, and make staking punches and an assortment of stumps to take the place of the anvil plate of a staking tool.

In other words, it isn't meant to be used as a staking tool. I do use them all the time for pressing various things together or apart (besides jewels), things many might do with a staking tool but works better in the Horia (or whatever brand). If I need to rivet a staff or other work requiring a hammer then it's the staking tool.

Thanks! There isn’t much mention of the lever type Horia jeweling tool online, and what it can be used for. I’m sure many others will find this very useful too, especially since the manufacturer doesn’t tell you what extra uses you can get out of it, and sell specially dedicated tools for staking and even reaming.

6 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

It holds the reamers/broaches. You can also hold drills and taps. But you wouldn't  hammer on it.

Does this mean that you place the broach into the pin vice like spindle, then using the Horia tool as a sort of guide, rotate the handle of the spindle as a kind of drill?

10 minutes ago, ifibrin said:

Is there any advantage to using the screw down Horia jeweling tool, which can only do jeweling, compared to the lever type which can also do broaching and reaming?

It's a matter of preference. I have both and haven't used the screw type in ages. Much prefer the lever.

• 4 months later...
On 11/8/2021 at 11:26 PM, nickelsilver said:

It's a matter of preference. I have both and haven't used the screw type in ages. Much prefer the lever.

@nickelsilver Would you be able to explain how the micrometer stop in the horia lever jeweling tool works? The favourite jeweling tool has the head of the spindle resting directly on top of the micrometer nut/stop to limit the depth the spindle can go, but the Horia lever-type has a separate micrometer stop.

815026821_favouritetool.thumb.png.7586dc2787a7f1afea604e391521b76a.png

In the Horia lever-type, is the micrometer's threaded bolt unable to move vertically, fixed to the jeweling tool; and the NUT can be adjusted in vertical height to act as a stop for the lever.

Or is the threaded bolt free to move vertically, adjusted in vertical height by the micrometer nut being turned. In this case the HEAD of the THREADED BOLT comes into contact with the lever to act as the stop; the micrometer nut just acts to adjust the vertical height of the threaded bolt.

horia.thumb.jpeg.22120ad79ef51a85ce1e7683bc8df88c.jpeg

Edited by ifibrin

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

On the Horia, the micrometer barrel rotates but remains in position on the tool, the male threaded stop raises and lowers.

horia press.jpg

Does the weight of the threaded bolt and micrometer nut/barrel keep the assembly/barrel in position on the Horia tool? If not I would imagine unscrewing the barrel would lift it up the threaded bolt, leaving a gap between the micrometer barrel and the Horia tool.

Edited by ifibrin

5 minutes ago, ifibrin said:

Does the weight of the threaded bolt and micrometer nut/barrel keep the assembly/barrel in position on the Horia tool? If not I would imagine unscrewing the barrel would lift it up the threaded bolt?

There's a coil spring in the male part, which pulls it down. The male part is also keyed so it doesn't turn. In practice I prefer it without the spring, I like the feel better. The lever pressing down keeps everything in place.

horia disassembled.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

There's a coil spring in the male part, which pulls it down. The male part is also keyed so it doesn't turn. In practice I prefer it without the spring, I like the feel better. The lever pressing down keeps everything in place.

horia disassembled.jpg

THANKS SO MUCH! I was spending so much time perplexing over how this micrometer works! Do you have a picture of how the spring which pulls down the threaded bolt looks like? I was looking at the spare parts of the Horia trying to figure out how everything fits together.

Would you be able to take a picture of the underside of the Horia lever tool? I was wondering if it was a two part base screwed together of it it’s one solid block.

9 minutes ago, ifibrin said:

THANKS SO MUCH! I was spending so much time perplexing over how this micrometer works! Do you have a picture of how the spring which pulls down the threaded bolt looks like? I was looking at the spare parts of the Horia trying to figure out how everything fits together.

Would you be able to take a picture of the underside of the Horia lever tool? I was wondering if it was a two part base screwed together of it it’s one solid block.

It's a one piece cast iron casting. The spring is pinned in the male micrometer thread, and the other end is captured in the frame of the tool as in the previous pic. Here you can see the spring, pin, and hole the pin goes in (and underside of the tool).

1000963978_horiaspring.thumb.jpg.92689854f2df082cdc35dcb3a4f6116a.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

It's a one piece cast iron casting. The spring is pinned in the male micrometer thread, and the other end is captured in the frame of the tool as in the previous pic. Here you can see the spring, pin, and hole the pin goes in (and underside of the tool).

That’s really awesome. I really appreciate your help! I actually decided to order this exact tool instead of the other non-lever type tool.

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2022 at 8:26 PM, nickelsilver said:

@nickelsilver, how often do you oil the spindle and the micrometer? I just received my new Horia jeweling tool, and I think it comes oiled from the factory. What sort of oil is used?

11 hours ago, ifibrin said:

@nickelsilver, how often do you oil the spindle and the micrometer? I just received my new Horia jeweling tool, and I think it comes oiled from the factory. What sort of oil is used?

I oil it if it seems dry; the spindle a couple of times per year maybe, screw every couple perhaps. I use fine machine spindle oil, but any is really fine, 3 in 1, sewing machine, clock.

• Thanks 1