Chronograph hand in seagull st1902

I have purchased an invicta model 5103 with a seagull st1902 manual wind chronograph movement (or version of it). 

when I reset the chronograph hand, it does not reset back to 12:00, but will constantly move a little further clockwise each time the chronograph is run, stopped and attempted to reset again. Seems like whatever stops the chrono hand at 12:00 is loose and rotates when the function is activated, but im not sure how difficult this would be to fix. Any ideas?

2BA2890E-0628-4FEA-8451-85D69DA0D0E0.png

422B12FB-C185-48F7-BC3E-DB43F67435C4.png

There is a distinct possibility that the hand its self is not very tight on the arbour and slips every time it is returned to the starting point. To check this you will have to remove the movement.   If it has still some warranty from new send it back to be fixed,   otherwise you will invalidate the warranty.

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

There is a distinct possibility that the hand its self is not very tight on the arbour and slips every time it is returned to the starting point. To check this you will have to remove the movement.   If it has still some warranty from new send it back to be fixed,   otherwise you will invalidate the warranty.

No warranty, I bought it used. I don’t want to send it back to him, I know he would take it back, but I bought it pretty cheaply. That’s an easy one to check, and a good idea. I hope that’s all it is, because that would not be to hard to seat it a little better. Great idea. 

8 minutes ago, Summit2001 said:

That’s an easy one to check, and a good idea. I hope that’s all it is, because that would not be to hard to seat it a little better. Great idea. 

Sounds easy but it's quite a fiddly job to get right even with the right tools... to my knowledge Seagull don't sell parts.

• Like 1

Coming back to this issue; a loose hand usually results on overshoot to beyound the 12 marker. But a fault in the hammer (flyback lever) due to a weak flyback spring , lack of oil on the hammer tips or interference between the hammer and the underside of the second wheel assembly will produce the fault that you describe. Believe me, I have seen this often. A good deal of sleuthing is needed to fix it. But it is an enjoyable occupation. First you should obtain a chronograph guide. They are available on eBay as downloadable pdf files for a few dollars. Search: Esembl-O-Graf Chronograph Watch Course for your movement or something similar.

chronograph.png.517a8057933ee8a6fee7280edeb3dd77.png

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jack75 said:

Coming back to this issue; a loose hand usually results on overshoot to beyound the 12 marker. But a fault in the hammer (flyback lever) due to a weak flyback spring , lack of oil on the hammer tips or interference between the hammer and the underside of the second wheel assembly will produce the fault that you describe. Believe me, I have seen this often. A good deal of sleuthing is needed to fix it. But it is an enjoyable occupation. First you should obtain a chronograph guide. They are available on eBay as downloadable pdf files for a few dollars. Search: Esembl-O-Graf Chronograph Watch Course for your movement or something similar.

chronograph.png.517a8057933ee8a6fee7280edeb3dd77.png

I will definitely do that. Yes. The hand always moves a little more clockwise every time it’s reset, as of now I just start and stop it to get it back to 12. It’s a fascinating movement and I want to wear it some, but i would probably jump off a bridge if I wore it with that hand not at 12. Lol!

Let’s say I were to send this for servicing. Anybody have a recommendation regarding cost I’d be getting into? I literally got the watch for $53. So I wouldn’t want to put in a pile of money, but if a watchsmith could oil it and service it, and it could fix the issue it may be worth it. 

So, my diagnosis just got a lot easier. After starting, stopping, and resetting the chronograph quite a few times to observe the mechanics of the movement, to try to come up with a plan of attack, the chrono hand flew off. 

So, while I will have the job of getting the movement out and resetting the chrono hand, at least I know what the issue was, and with all things considered, this is probably the easiest fix. I’ll update you guys once I get around to it, hopefully this weekend. Thank you all!

• 2 weeks later...