face nut on clock loose

conrail

wife and myself were given a gift of a WIDDOP carriage clock, when I went to change the battery I found the battery compartment loose resulting in the battery holder and the clock hands moving freely, I have noticed the nut on the clock face holding the battery compartment in place is loose, it is on the spindle, behind the pointers, unfortunately I cannot find out how to access the nut or clock face as I cannot see without using force, how to open the case, I did contact Widdop and the young lady was prompt with her reply promising to find out for me but that was well over a week ago, can anybody here help please on how to access the clock face so I can tighten the nut, all help and advice appreciated, thanks

20210813_115108.jpg

20210813_115124.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum.  Can you post some pictures of the front and rear of the case as some of these clocks you remove the felt base cover to reveal the screws in the case, others are snap together cases. What is the case made of metal or plastic. There is some danger in splitting the case on plastic ones due to their construction.

• Thanks 1

Can you show me the complete case and are there any feet to the case. Normally with case feet felt might cover the screw heads. in which case you unscrew the screws and the whole movement will slide out, you can then tighten the the nut and replace. Make sure the hands are both pointing to 12 that makes sure the hands will be at their correct position. 

• Thanks 1

thank you watchweasol and oldhippy, here are pictures of the case, as you can see on the one marked 'side', last picture, where the arrow points to, it looks like it may slide but have tried and it wont move, don't want to put too much pressure on it, only felt part is the back, the rest appears all glass, appreciate your help here

20210820_154631.jpg

20210820_154648.jpg

20210820_154719.jpg

20210820_154742.jpg

20210820_154827.jpg

20210820_154844.jpg

20210820_155032.jpg

thank you watchweasol and oldhippy, spent all  morning trying to ease a craft knife, (scalpel), around the case but what ever substance they have used to seal it has me beaten, I think that not only is it sealed around the side but also to the back of the face, so thank you for your help and advice it is much appreciated, it will just have to stay as it is, 

thank you oldhippy, I did email them on the 12th last and got a quick reply from someone called Dorinda whi is looking into this for me but nothing since then, it wont hurt to complete the on line form so I will give that a try, again I appreciate your help and advice

just had a reply from Widdop, "
These clocks are a sealed unit so cant be opened.
If you turn the movement it will tighten just ensure the hands are lined up at 12 o clock to give an accurate time."

I will give this a try although can't see how it will tighten the nut on the clock face unless I pull the movement away from the face before tightening and hope the nut will be held in place by the pressure, I will let you know what happens when I try it.

2 hours ago, conrail said:

just had a reply from Widdop, "
These clocks are a sealed unit so cant be opened.
If you turn the movement it will tighten just ensure the hands are lined up at 12 o clock to give an accurate time."

At least you got a reply. So when the clock packs up you buy a new one. That's what they mean by living in a throwaway society. Bloody terrible.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thank you watchweasol and old hippy, finally got the chance to tighten the movement and although the locking nut wasn't flush with the face it worked and tightened the movement and pointers so everything fine, I appreciate your help and advice so again many thanks