as 1361

gary17

hey guys

Just cleaned and oiled and rebuilt a doxa with a  A.S 1361 movement. It was going and stopping so took balance and pallet of and the train ran great,so great it would not stop for about 10 min. When it did stop i only had to touch the crown and of it went again for about 1 min 30 sec. So looking at the parts sheet it says something about a brake spring. The mainspring is part number 770 and brake spring is part 775. It looks like there are two parts to the mainspring???

So now i have taken the mainspring out of the barrel and it has the normal split ends that holds the auto to the barrel to stop over winding. see pics. But the barrel has nothing to hold or intefere with the mainspring to stop over winding. Also ranfft claims the inner diameter of the barrel is 8.5 mm this measures 9.25. The spring itself is very close to being what ranfft reccommends its just 20mm to long.

What i am asking i suppose is am i flogging a dead horse here or is trhere something i am tottally missing

I have found walk through for the A.S 1361 N but there are small differences between that calibre and the 1361. so not much use.

cheers

gary

IMG_20210817_193039.jpg

IMG_20210817_194406.jpg

IMG_20210817_194408.jpg

IMG_20210817_195230.jpg

IMG_20210817_195241.jpg

Hi Gary  The mainspring and barrel look a bit manky, have you changed the spring and cleaned the barrel walls. when reassembling the barrel a couple of dabs of breaking grease on the walls before fitting the spring.    The brake spring 775 looks like a loose addition to the mainspring, modern springs have it alttached.   There wiil be some one on here who will know for sure. 

I have attached two sheets for the AS as I cant remember which one I sent before.       cheers

3945_AS 1361smaller (4).pdf 1996_AS 1336, 1361.pdf

Bottom of the  barrel looks like it can use a polish and you do want a somewhat rough barrel wall.

I am not sure if its a poede MS, where th spindle is a seperate piece, this is how one looks like.

IMG_20210409_223612.jpg.2758e66fd2674ff686a4e4b23b4295df.thumb.jpg.b65c1b608820d363a9e3261abbb14672.jpg

You know going and stopping is unlikely to be caused by barrel, if it still stops,  the fault is somewhere in the escapement, check the face of pallet jewels and make sure its in- beat.

All arbours should have some end shake. 

A pivot worn to a point that its too short to reach end stones, lets pivot shoulder rub on the jewel housing, so the balance will turn as you shake the watch but the movement will not run by the torgue mainspring delivers.

All too often all shelac is lost in unltrasonic, causing pallets misalign or move in their slot. 

Make sure impulse jewel is not loose, that again happens when all shalac gets washed away in ultrasonic, another common headache is when a shim falls out as you remove the cock and you wont notice there was a shim there.

PM sent.

Regs 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi Gary
the AS 1361 can be either automatic or non automatic, the movement you have is automatic and yes the bridle is seperate.

My answer to this is to use a battery welder to weld the bridle to the mainspring 
I use single pulse at 15A to perform the weld

Firstly tightly wrap the bridle to the mainspring with fine copper wire in order to keep them together and well aligned

then turn the electrodes of the battery welding machine inwards (file the tips down to about 0.5mm) 

Place the mainspring and bridle ensemble between the electrodes at the place where the attachment is needed with light pressure and pulse the welder

this should result in a fine spot weld.

Hope this helps

20220515_195353.jpg

• Like 1