Pre-Purchase Enquiry Tissot Powermatic 80

Hi I’ve long advocated that before purchasing a second hand car first check with your mechanic as to which models are problematic, so I’m doing the same thing here. I want to purchase my first automatic watch. The Tissot site for ZAR lists the Powermatic 80 movement in a few time pieces: Le Locle, Gentleman and PR100. The listed prices for new are at my price point (Only the Seiko 5 Sports is below-big uncertain smile though). On some models Tissot advertise the “anti-magnetic properties of Silicium”, the Le Locle has a different case back and here they advertise “high tech escapement” but with a reduced water resistance rating of 3 bars. 

Is the Powermatic 80 is an upgrade of the Swissmatic which is based on Sistem 51 (all soldered)? 

I’m trying to avoid purchasing a disposable movement. Also I’m physically disabled and can’t swim so the worst case for me is to go to a party and fall into a pool. By the way that Seiko 5 actually looks great. Any view would help. 

Is 3 Bars sufficient for me?

Thank You most kindly. 

12 minutes ago, RonaldAN said:

Is the Powermatic 80 is an upgrade of the Swissmatic which is based on Sistem 51 (all soldered)?

No, however they are both based on the same movement, the 2824.
Also the C7.211 has a silicon hairspring and no regulator, and requires special lubricants. That may not be liked by someone. You can read more at https://monochrome-watches.com/swatch-groups-powermatic-movement-a-powerful-entry-level-engine/

Is 3 Bars sufficient for me?

Yes.

40 minutes ago, RonaldAN said:

I think my price point will be the main determining factor.

Does it have to be a brand new watch? If you check WUS sales there are many deals to be had for all types and prices. Most (but not all) sellers are genuine enthusiasts with a proven reputation, ship internationally being cooperative with the related forms, and you pay no commissions or markup.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

C7.211 has a silicon hairspring

2 hours ago, RonaldAN said:

Tissot advertise the “anti-magnetic properties of Silicium”, 

you want to be very careful when you're purchasing a Powermatic 80 to get whatever it is you perceive your getting versus whatever you're going to get? That is because this is more of a generic term for watch rather than an exact watch. in other words yes it is based on the 2824 with a lot of parts interchanging but it has a whole bunch of special parts that can only be purchased from either Tissot and Certina. there is the synthetic escapement which is not supposed to be cleaned in normal cleaning fluids and requires special lubrication. Different regulations system ideally you need a special tool and slightly different timing procedure.

then the silicon hairspring revealed at both links below you find that there's variations in the numbering system and only some of them have silicon hairsprings not all of them. So don't assume that they're all the same whole bunch a subtle little differences.

https://calibercorner.com/tissot-caliber-powermatic-80/

https://watchbase.com/eta/caliber/c07-111

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

you want to be very careful when you're purchasing a Powermatic 80 to get whatever it is you perceive your getting versus whatever you're going to get? That is because this is more of a generic term for watch rather than an exact watch. in other words yes it is based on the 2824 with a lot of parts interchanging but it has a whole bunch of special parts that can only be purchased from either Tissot and Certina. there is the synthetic escapement which is not supposed to be cleaned in normal cleaning fluids and requires special lubrication. Different regulations system ideally you need a special tool and slightly different timing procedure.

then the silicon hairspring revealed at both links below you find that there's variations in the numbering system and only some of them have silicon hairsprings not all of them. So don't assume that they're all the same whole bunch a subtle little differences.

https://calibercorner.com/tissot-caliber-powermatic-80/

https://watchbase.com/eta/caliber/c07-111

Hi thanks its this particular one from Tissot 

33395A62-9C01-4013-8B0D-05F3E7317949.jpeg

B3362480-18CD-447C-AE54-84C19DA54BB3.jpeg

13 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

So don't assume that they're all the same whole bunch a subtle little differences.

What is not different, is that neither Tissot, Certina, ETA (all owned by the Swatch Group) will sell parts or divulge technical literature to anyone not "having an account", that means, their official service centers.
Very different from Seiko with which if anything in the movement breaks you can buy a brand new NH35 complete replacement for about USD 30.

Wow a rather Lucid response JDM. The Tissot in the picture is selling for ZAR 6100 it $427. It’s the price I was looking at more than anything. You have clearly pointed out possible long term issues. At that price is it worth it?

1 minute ago, RonaldAN said:

At that price is it worth it?

perhaps to answer that question before purchasing it inquire as to what it would cost to get the watch serviced? then ask how long do they expect it to run before it needs to be serviced?

43 minutes ago, RonaldAN said:

The Tissot in the picture is selling for ZAR 6100 it $427.

That is a  low price for a Swiss automatic watch, sapphire crystal, solid links and terminals bracelet. A Seiko SARB (with the 6R15 or 6R35 mov.t, not the 4R36 used on 5 Sports) would have the same main characteristics and a similar, if not higher, price.
My guess is that servicing, 'officially' required after 5 - 7 years, might cost you $100 and up in your country. Although in reality most owners in this price segment just don't bother servicing theirs watch at all - understandably.

Judas Priest man👍Are you a horological ninja? Thanks i confirmed the service price in South Africa as you were responding. The representative from Tissot suggested minimizing contact with water even washing of hands as that will degrade the oils causing the rubies to grate harshly. My utmost admiration for you expertise. Thanks very very much. If negotiations with wifey work out I post some on my very small wrist pictures 

16 minutes ago, RonaldAN said:

The representative from Tissot suggested minimizing contact with water even washing of hands as that will degrade the oils causing the rubies to grate harshly.

That is the customary recommendation given by resellers, as a new watch returned for water ingress gives them trouble. In reality a quality watch, even rated just 3 atm, has synthetic rubber gaskets on both the caseback and the crown stem, these block water entering even when bathing or showering. Any decent watch repairer should have a device to test that.
Good luck with you purchase.