Trouble removing watch bracelet links

DanteFalcioni

Question

Got this Balmain Paris watch off eBay for cheap to practice my buffing and polishing. The bracelet is much too big to fit me so I need to remove a few links, but this bracelet is like nothing I’ve seen before.

It has pin holes on one side but nothing on the other. I tried pushing to see if the pins are spring loaded but no luck... I thought it was likely that they were screws but I put a few different flatheads inside and they never caught onto anything. I’ve cleaned the holes out the best I could (the watch was very dirty) but I can’t fully see in there, with my loupe on it just looks flat with no screw pattern. Does anyone know how to remove these links?

F3522CC6-CA55-401C-9DDF-556424D6AA05.jpeg

CB25EC30-8074-4276-8FA3-A202564D7661.jpeg

7796D8F9-B0EE-4E36-96EA-5C0BCB516FA2.jpeg

38F6D925-57A1-427B-AA3F-68AF3BC1484A.jpeg

4 answers to this question

Hi looking at the bracelet ,on the non pinside there seems to be blanks or plugs which could be obscuring the pin, I would try a gentle punching of the pins to see if you can remove a pin. the links are solid sided and joined across  the bracelet. I. first thought they might be like Rolex and you need a tool to pull the end cap off, this yet may be the case.  

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi looking at the bracelet ,on the non pinside there seems to be blanks or plugs which could be obscuring the pin, I would try a gentle punching of the pins to see if you can remove a pin. the links are solid sided and joined across  the bracelet. I. first thought they might be like Rolex and you need a tool to pull the end cap off, this yet may be the case.  

I see the blanks/plugs as well but they seem to still only be on that one side, the other side looks like solid steel. I tried punching already as well but maybe I’ll have to go a little harder.

Do you have an example of the Rolex bracelet and the corresponding tool?

Hi there are two tools , one pulls it apart and the other re fits and closes the links. The cost of the tools is way more than the worth of the watch but from the design you may be able to make something that will work.

rolex tool.jpg

b50363_cmyk1.jpg

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi there are two tools , one pulls it apart and the other re fits and closes the links. The cost of the tools is way more than the worth of the watch but from the design you may be able to make something that will work.

rolex tool.jpg

b50363_cmyk1.jpg

Ok so turns out your original post was right and there's just blanks on the other side. I had to put it in a vice and use a hammer and a pin (hitting surprisingly hard) before they came out. Thanks for all your help!

• Similar Content

• By DeepBlue
      Hi,

It's Paul here from Melbourne Australia. Just recently pulled out a box of watches that were in a cupboard - going to get them all working hopefully! I'm an absolute watch newbie! I like working on cars and so decided to have a go at fixing these watches (Youtube, internet and forums are a great help!) while in COVID-19 lockdown.

I have replaced a battery in one Cartier and one Longines so far - both working now! I have a bright torch, magnifying glass and a very cheap set of jewellers screwdrivers. I was very careful with the Cartier as it had six tiny screws holding the back case on - my eyes aren't as good as they used to be!!!

Anyway, hoping someone can help with a Cartier clasp (stainless steel and gold plate Must de Cartier 21) shown here in thumbnail.

One half of the clasp holds securely (hole fits tightly over the post), the other half doesn't. I assume that over time, the hole on one side has been worn and is now too big to fit snugly over its corresponding post? What are my possible options here?

Replace part/s of the bracelet? (Not sure where I can get new/used parts.)
      Build up the offending post or offending hole - use some JB-Weld?

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• By Misshollypocket
      I actually have a couple problems I could use some help with. I’ll start with the more serious one I guess. I don’t have any trouble getting the back off my watches or changing the battery, but every time I use my tool to snap the back back on, something happens to the crown pin. It just lets go and comes out. I thought it was a strange occurrence the first time but I tried another one this week and got the same results. I’ve done this same thing on hundreds of other watches of different types and brands but never ran into this problem before. Can someone please help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?
      Also, a couple of my watches don’t seem to be able to adjust to my teeny tiny wrist size. In my Monarch, the majority of the links don’t have holes to remove the pins. Is there any other way to remove a couple links. Any advice would be appreciated immensely!!!
    • By Trevelyan
      Hi,  the bracelet on my SARB033 is a D385-3C,  it's currently too small for me to wear. I have two spare links, but no pins for them. On removing a pin from the bracelet I found it to be nothing like a cotter pin, nor did it appear to be a "pin and tube".   It was more like a pin with a thicker end that was knurled . 
      I'm looking for resources to purchase a few of these pins,  also links and pins for a JDM  Seiko (a Grey Ghost titanium kinetic) 
      Can anyone point me in the right direction? 
      Trev. 

• By Marc5555
      Hello everyone
      Im looking to find a bracelet for my snk807 preferably with curves endlinks to match the case. Im assuming that a bracelet from the snk795 would work unless im wrong. Anybody know where to find a bracelet for this?

• By wilding
      Hi there watch repair experts and fans! My first time here so please be gentle with me
      It concerns the ladies watch you see in the pics and, in particular, its rather unusual metal bracelet strap.
      I want to make the strap a few links shorter.
      Normally with metal bracelets it is, of course, all about pushing out the pins, taking out the bits of the bracelet you don't need and then putting it all back together.
      But THIS one has a weird-looking two-section bracelet which, as far as I can see, is held together by very small screws (?)  from each side and no pins involved.
      Obviously I am wondering what to do to get the pins/screws out.
      Another thing of course i that I will have to take one link from either side of the bracelet.
      Anyone seen a bracelet like this before. HOW to do this adjustment??
      I hope you can see what you need to in these photos.