The proper steel

Dear all,

Can somebody with a better understanding of the various steel sorts explain what steel designation is the right one for daily watchmaking lathe  use. What I mean is when de Carle writes something like: "...turn on lathe, harden in oil and temper to blue". What modern steel type would be suitable? I know I can buy blue steel rods from Cousins but I would really like to know what's behind it.

Cheers and all the best from Hamburg,

Alex

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexanderToerzs said:

I would really like to know what's behind it.

In few words: a lot, but fortunately not so much for practical use. Metallurgy is a vast science and how much of it can be applied to watchmaking depends on what you have at hand, your tools, and your objectives. 

I suggest you search this forum for terms like harden, termper,  anneal, and their -ing declinations. Your questions will be fully answered. 

Hi Alex,

DeCarle will be generally referring to high carbon steel rod. In the UK we call this “silver steel”. It is very hard, even when not hardened. Often, EN8 steel will work just as well and has a high enough carbon content to blue properly. It depends on the application. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rodabod said:

Hi Alex,

DeCarle will be generally referring to high carbon steel rod. In the UK we call this “silver steel”. It is very hard, even when not hardened. Often, EN8 steel will work just as well and has a high enough carbon content to blue properly. It depends on the application. 

Thank you, Rodabod.