How This Works And How To Disassemble?

I have a friend's  Swiss Army watch that requires a new crystal. It is a sapphire crystal but check this out! There is a ring to use the watch as a compass that hinges on the case (not spring loaded). I'm afraid to damage this hinge/case by just tinkering and exploring (it is not my watch).

Can someone shed some light as to what is involved, how it works and the best way to remove the lid and put it back together, please...pleeeeese!

post-253-0-26861700-1427910392.jpg

post-253-0-53386400-1427910393.jpg

post-253-0-61596800-1427910394.jpg

post-253-0-13324700-1427910396.jpg

Thank you in advance,

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Should I leave the hinge alone and push the old crystal through the ring opening and do the reverse with the new crystal?

Yes, ro63rto but I can't really tell. It is too deep on both ends...Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try later when I get home, and stick a small screwdriver in and see if it catches anything... might just be a screw as you said.

Thank you ricardo,

It is not the crystal what worries me, it is ruining the hinge or scratching the finish for this ring/case. I can change the crystal in a blink of an eye as I've done many times in this brand and others. It is the ring that is in the way and only opens 90 degrees, therefore I need to remove it to work on the watch. If it catches with the press or anything else I'll be paying for this watch. :)

Cheers,

Bob

I do understand...believe me . and it seems that when I work on other peoples watches that's when the gremlins show up . In looking at your pics I would proceed this way . Remove the movement , remove the bezel around the crystal . try to press the old crystal out with your thumbs . If its stubborn tap it out using a watch press fitting inside the watch on the crystal . You have probably have done this many times . Be ginger with a crystal gasket if it has one  or install a new one . It doesn't look like you can fit a crystal lifter with the cover on . It sounds like you have done this drill before so I will just add that in the pic with the hinge cover open it looks like that may be the stem tube showing . If you use a press make sure you don't crush it from the top or bottom . I have made that mistake before on a chronograph because I was just focusing on pressing in the crystal and did not check what else I may be putting pressure on . 

I have a tool with different dia . tips I would use to tap out the hinge pin...I have used paperclip wire for this also...don't get it stuck in the hole .

Keep us informed on your progress and good luck .

Thank you Ricardo,

The crystal is definitely either glued in or pressed with a ring...I will know once it is out. I would love it being glued in by the way. 

Normally I use a press to push it out of the case although sometimes yes, the fingers work well. This type of crystal -- flat -- and the way it is mounted cannot be manipulated either way with a crystal lifter...and then just the fact of being sapphire might not be prone to bending with the tool, I think, if it were the case. This is  a very heavy duty watch and has seen combat and survived just like its owner.

In any case, are you sure it is a pin? I thought so too, but as ro63rto says, it could be a screw. I'm hopping someone has worked before this type of hinge and tell me about this mechanical solution as it is normally presented. As you can see, I'm afraid to get the gremlins wet this time (remember the movie?)   :)

In the morning I'll be tinkering with it (carefully) and keep you posted.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob, I don't want to sound negative, but sometimes it's better to politely decline if you are that unsure. If it goes wrong, then you will probably end up feeling worse than your friend and you will feel obliged to pay to get it sorted.

A fairly safe way to try to remove the hinge pin, is to get an automatic centre punch and grind down the punch to slightly less than the diameter of the pin you are trying to remove, and remove the point. If you have a lathe you could make a dedicated replacement pin driver for the punch. Being a self contained impact hammer, you can safely hold the watch in your hand while using the punch.

Finally, you could always polish the crystal without removing it, not as easy as polishing plastic, but it can be done using a Dremel and cerium oxide or diamond paste.

Here are a couple of videos showing how it's done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxkCV_UksrU

• Like 1

Truer words were never said GEO. I have Cerium oxide  and diamond paste in oil similar to the scratch genie stuff . In this case I would recommended the diamond paste . I got it on the bay and it came in 5 injector tubes from 5micron to 0.5 micron . 

The choice is yours Bob , but I would heed Geo's advice . You could do the job with the hinge lid closed and taped off .

Totally agree with Geo, thread lightly my friend.

It looks like it's probably a "Pin and Tube" arrangement; but it maybe a knurled pin also.  Knurled pins can only be removed in one direction ... so if you push on the wrong end, you'll do a lot of damage.

Modern "fashion" brand watches are often nightmares to work on for this very reason ... little to no documentation, and finding replacement spares is nigh impossible.

Thank you guys, for all your advise, I really appreciate it. Y'all are the best!

As an update:

I already talked to the owner and he is OK with just changing the battery :)  He said to take my time that's why I'm still researching this issue: in the name of knowledge.

So, so far we have two possibilities:

1.- it could be a pin of which

a) it may be pin-tube arrangement

B) some other pin that can be extracted in either direction

2.- a crew

What else can go wrong! I'll "explore" the hinge gently and report back!

Cheers,

Bob

So, so far we have two possibilities:

1.- it could be a pin of which

a) it may be pin-tube arrangement

B) some other pin that can be extracted in either direction

2.- a crew

3.- It could be a Romulan Plot !!

post-246-0-46534000-1427985594_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, it was a pin with no frills or anything, push it gently on one side, out came the other side. I guess I was overthinking it! I will post results later on but I needed to provide closure to this topic.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, it is deeply appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob