New Video Uploaded. A Primer On Regulating A Watch.

A much awaited video Mark, I am eagerly looking forward to the follow-ups.  You asked for feedback as to topics for inclusion in future videos on regulating watches.

I am particularly interested in what position should be the start position for regulating a normal wristwatch worn on the left wrist,and what is the next sequence of positions.

My chrissie present was a timegrapher and I now see that some of my watches that ran perfectly (!) may not be doing so after all !! 

I would also like to know how amplitude factors in and what is good/bad/acceptable. 

The effects of good/bad lubrication of the pallets would also be helpful.

You may well have planned these into the future videos, if so great news.

Thanks

I haven't used Keynote for several years now so I haven't kept up to date with new features, but it has always been a very nice app. It's really blows Powerpoint out of the water.

As an alternative I would recommend Apple Motion, which is a bargain at $50. It has nifty things like linked behaviours which would be handy for movement simulations like the one you did in this video.

Had a really good look at Motion and it is really an amazing piece of software Rob, thanks.

I think this will really help with illustrations going forward.

Had a really good look at Motion and it is really an amazing piece of software Rob, thanks.

I think this will really help with illustrations going forward.

Yes it's pretty nifty, isn't it? Granted, not as easy as Keynote but way more powerful.

It enables many more advanced effects. You could do green screen recordings with that piece of unmounted laminate seen in the background of the latest videos for example. ;)

Yes it's pretty nifty, isn't it? Granted, not as easy as Keynote but way more powerful.

It enables many more advanced effects. You could do green screen recordings with that piece of unmounted laminate seen in the background of the latest videos for example. ;)

Indeed. I got a wheel spinning within a few minutes. Simples!

post-1-0-18367300-1428924267_thumb.png

Hi Mark. So do I take it a quality watch a holy trinity or a Rolex would automatically be a guaranteed dead single beat line, and if so how long would it be before that reading starts to decay whether gaining or losing. Is it true that the more expensive the watch the straighter that line will be or are all watches true at first.

Edited by Craig

Hi Mark. So do I take it a quality watch a holy trinity or a Rolex would automatically be a guaranteed dead single beat line, and if so how long would it be before that reading starts to decay whether gaining or losing. Is it true that the more expensive the watch the straighter that line will be or are all watches true at first.

Many expensive watches will be measured to a certain standard, the COSC Chronometer Standard for example, which would guarantee a certain level of accuracy when the watch is brand new. The fact is that measuring a watches rate on a timing machine will give you a sort of lab test reading for that moment only, not a real world test. Other things affect timekeeping such as temperature and position. But those readings are a very good guide and with a consistent accurate reading on the machine, one would expect real world usage to reflect that.

• 5 weeks later...