Do I Need A Staking Set

DJT2

Hi guys, I'm very new to this & still amassing my tools & skills. After cleaning & servicing my first watch yesterday I'm quite annoyed with myself that I didn't have the bottle to strip the balance bridge, hairspray & wheel etc. So it still shows signs of rust69d8f92afd0ff30e56b1798b6a7a149a.jpg I also have a 2824 movement without any incabloc etc ad2778e2bfc570884ef99f3c533b54b1.jpg

I realise I can buy the complete bridge assembly from cousins, but where is the fun in that.

So to fully clean my balance bridge remove & replace with the newer style incabloc & also to fit a new incabloc to the 2824 movement. What tools do I require? Any advice would be welcome

I may be wrong here, but as long as the pivots are rust free, it is just cosmetic damage as far as the balance is concerned. If you want to get rid of the rust on the balance cock, you can remove the hairspring and balance from the cock, and then clean that seperately. You don't need a staking set for that. Staking sets are generally used to replace the balance or other riveting tasks, though it has 1001 uses. I found one online for $70, can't decide if I want to pull the trigger, even though I don't have a use for it yet... :3

I may be wrong here, but as long as the pivots are rust free, it is just cosmetic damage as far as the balance is concerned. If you want to get rid of the rust on the balance cock, you can remove the hairspring and balance from the cock, and then clean that seperately. You don't need a staking set for that. Staking sets are generally used to replace the balance or other riveting tasks, though it has 1001 uses. I found one online for $70, can't decide if I want to pull the trigger, even though I don't have a use for it yet... :3

Thanks for the advice buddy. It was just cosmetic on the first one. I've done as you suggested earlier this morning. Removed the hairspring & cleaned in lighter fluid. Looks so much better now. However, the other movement doesn't have the pivet hole. It's been removed at some stage, so it literally is just the balance bridge. Therefore, do I need to stake for that?

hi everyone,

i wasn't sure i needed a staking set until i bought mine.

it opens up a whole world of possibilities that are not there without it.

i now focus on buying watches with broken balance staffs as i can replace one in a few minutes now.

removing and replacing jewels, roller tables etc. etc...

you can pick up a watch with a broken staff for a fraction of the price of a runner. 

i use my set all the time and it has paid for itself over and over.

post-807-0-10125600-1427632009_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It's a good idea to get one of the inverto type, this allows you to use the punches in the base as well as stumps and greatly expands it's capabilities. K&D make the "Inverto" and Boley have staking sets with an additional base unit to accept punches. There are probably others. Whatever you buy, make sure it is in good condition, it's amazing how damaged some sets are with chips out of them and pinions jammed inside.

It's a good idea to get one of the inverto type, this allows you to use the punches in the base as well as stumps and greatly expands it's capabilities. K&D make the "Inverto" and Boley have staking sets with an additional base unit to accept punches. There are probably others. Whatever you buy, make sure it is in good condition, it's amazing how damaged some sets are with chips out of them and pinions jammed inside.

Been looking on eBay for your suggestions & have found a few, but they seem quite expensive when I read other members paid less than £100 etc. Just wondering whether it's better to buy vintage used or something like this from cousins. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/staking-set

Are the k&d, boley & favorite much better?

this from cousins. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/staking-set

I'm not a great fan of Indian tools to be honest, but if Cousins are selling it I would like to think that they have high standards for selecting equipment. At least if you bought it new, you wouldn't have to worry about damaged and missing parts.

I'm not a great fan of Indian tools to be honest, but if Cousins are selling it I would like to think that they have high standards for selecting equipment. At least if you bought it new, you wouldn't have to worry about damaged and missing parts.

Thanks for the reply, TBH I'm with you on the Indian stuff. I've seen a few Bergeon sets on eBay I'm tracking & I suppose it's an investment for a long future in this hobby.

I purchased my two sets of 10 stakes (10 curved end and ten flat) from Ted Cousins the founder of Cousins UK in 1970. Ted was very helpful to me as an inexperienced novice.

This was when Ted worked from his back room in his house in Ilford Essex. I am pleased that Anthony has developed the company to be a well known international company now covering all aspects of horology.

Having slowed down now a bit, I still enjoy looking at their Web Site and seeing all the wonderful tools and equipment. Nowadays my hands are a little shaky now to get too involved.

John.

Been looking on eBay for your suggestions & have found a few, but they seem quite expensive when I read other members paid less than £100 etc. Just wondering whether it's better to buy vintage used or something like this from cousins. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/staking-set

I looked at that set some time ago and decided not to buy based on the listing saying the stakes are 5mm. I think the standard size for stakes is 4.7mm, making this set incompatible with others.

Stephen

I looked at that set some time ago and decided not to buy based on the listing saying the stakes are 5mm. I think the standard size for stakes is 4.7mm, making this set incompatible with others.

Stephen

Good info there Stephen. I would not have known

• 3 weeks later...

I bought mine off ebay. It came complete. Also, I understand that not all K&D have the jeweling accessory and/or other extras. The one I have that is supposed to have everything is the R18 "reverso (?)" It allows to use the stakes as punches and vice versa...or so. I haven't used it yet enough to talk a lot about it!