Can't remove stem from Gotham

So I bought this Gotham watch off eBay several months ago to mess with. I got the movement winding and kinda running but couldn't pull the stem out. Figured I was going have to pull it apart to fix the stem issue. So I put it away for while I gather tools. Started to pull it apart this afternoon and still can't figure it out. It's probably something obvious I'm missing due to inexperience. This is the first movement I've pulled apart. I bought it basically to ruin while I learn lol

IMG_20210102_173713222_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210102_173635732_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210102_160018465.jpg

I'm attaching an image from another watch. The setting lever which is part number two has a screw normally associated with it yours is missing? Although it's not actually missing I found it in your picture it's been removed. You need to put it back in again if you can.

Normal procedure would be to loosen the screw like one turn maybe two and it will release the setting lever and the stem will come out. Sometimes you have to push down on it to release the stem.

Then your watch company name yes it exists but probably didn't actually make the watch. Your picture was good enough that I could see the US import code and look it up GXI Gotham (Ollendorf Watch Co.), Juvenia, Mido, Orator

found it it was there.JPG

setting parts problem.JPG

I was trying to understand your comments John about having to put the screw back in to get the setting lever to release. I initially thought that the setting lever had been removed already?

Looking at the diagrams from your post, the setting lever is on the other side of the OP's movement hence why it needs the screw to push against the lever to push it away from the stem?

54 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

I initially thought that the setting lever had been removed already?

Looking at the diagrams from your post, the setting lever is on the other side of the OP's movement hence why it needs the screw to push against the lever to push it away from the stem?

I'm attaching a PDF of the Swiss tech sheet and images of basically the same watch. Then all the terminology will come off the Swiss tech sheet.

As you can see in the drawing apart in question the setting lever is on the dial side. The screw to release it is on the other side. I circled the screw head and where the screw goes on the other side.

Then the setting lever itself noticed I circled something? This goes into the slot in the stem.

Then the last picture shows the watch partially assembled it's missing the  setting lever jumper. Here you can see pulling the stem in an out Also moves the setting lever in it out. That pushes on the yoke which is in the groove of the sliding pinion. Or basically this is how you go from winding the setting. The jumper that's missing is what holds everything in place.

it's on the dial side.JPG

the part that holds the stem in.JPG

another picture of the stem.JPG

6498-1_FDE.pdf

Can the crown be pulled out from winding position to hand setting position? Or is that stuck in one position only?

If it is stuck in one position, the sliding pinion is probably rusted stuck to the winding stem. You can try putting some penetrating oil around the area and leave it for a day or so. Be careful no to get the penetrating oil onto the dial.

• Like 2