New hobbiest to horology.

thecodedawg

I am Devon, a 46 year old software engineer living on the front range in Northern Colorado.  (The smoke from the fires has been ridiculous)  I recently recieved 2 pocket wactches from my Grandfather's estate.  He passed in 1986, but circumstance brought the wathces to me 3 months ago.  I have always had a fondness for wrist watches, but never really had the cash to afford the Omega's and Rolex's of the world.  (Really want a speedmaster saphire sandwich) I had started watching Mark Lovick's YouTube channel and was transfixed.  I lost hours over the past couple of months watching those and others service and repair watches.  After time, I began to suspect that my pocket watches might just be mechanical.  The first watch did not tick, and had no crystal.  The second watch ticked, but was missing hour and minute hands.  I opened the casebacks and found amazing things.  I had a 1877 waltham and a 1886 watham.  Those I took to a watchmaker here in Colroado to have restored since they belonged to my Great Grandfather.  However, I was hooked. I want to learn how to service watches.  I have ordrerd the Mark Lovick recommeded full set of essential tools, I have enrolled in his classes and am about 1/2 through. I am just loving this.  (And now... I am in a bit of a pickle with my first service... and need help)

Edited by thecodedawg
Add a bit more about myself