At Last Something Finished

hi guys, at last i have got something going, one of my job lots a saxon, never heard of it from GDR so must be before 1990, i promised my self i wouldn't do another bridgeless watch after my last disaster but as this had an almost unmarked dial and case i thought i would give it a go at least the balance was seperate i thought, then the nightmare began, found a stem and crown turned it nothing happened, could take the main spring out without anything else being touched thats a result i thought, reshaped mainspring end and got it wound it sort of run, looked inside every gear had fluff and hair so had to take it all apart, think it was built with left over meccano parts, put it back together would run dial up but not down then not dial down sorted that then running fast the coils on the hair spring were sticking together had to buy an optivisor and got that done went to put the second hand on and ping then had to go thro the bits to find one but eventually we are here i'll wear it for a couple of days to check it out, at only about 27mm dia. it should look quite nice on me and then i can't wait to get it on ebay i'm sick of the sight of it.just one question guys where the regulator is there is another adjuster what is this for and what is the method of setting it, thanks, stevepost-618-0-12777200-1424977144_thumb.jpgpost-618-0-64228600-1424977210_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve,

Nice job and funny story to get there! It happens all the time just the narration awakens memories recent and past! Enjoyed it very much. It is a great looking watch and hope you don't get sick of the sight of it soon.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. The adjuster you mention, I can't see it very well in my ready-to-throw-away computer monitor. If you could post a close up maybe....just maybe. Also, more experience members may be able to help.

Hi Steve, you're a glutton for punishment! It does look a bit like a power module for an antique Meccano set, and you've done very well to get it up and running.

Regarding the adjusters, one is a regulator for adjusting the rate of the watch, the other should have the end of the hairspring attached to it and is for adjusting the the beat of the watch. Do not move the beat adjuster if you don't have a Timegrapher to allow you to set it correctly.

ooops bit too late geo i have moved it, i had 3 probs with the hair spring first i had a kink between the reg bar and the anchor which i managed to straighten then the spring wasn't horizontal so i teased it level and then looking from above the spring it was wider one side to the other but when i moved this other adjuster it evened it up so i got it as best i could level each way without being able to see what was happening although i was losing the will to live at this point, it is gaining about 2mins a day so can't be far off the mark