Seagull ST36 inconsistancies

SteveT

Hi guys,

I recently got a ST36 from aliexp for a project, when I got it I noticed the cannon pinion was shorter than I was expecting. So I pulled out my other ST36 and compared them.

To my mind the short one is not fit for purpose, before I go and shoot my mouth off and leave a bad review on the sellers page. I thought it might be wise to ask you guys for advice / thoughts. I have attached pics of my old one and new for comparison.

photo_2020-09-02_08-27-24.jpg

photo_2020-09-02_08-27-39.jpg

photo_2020-09-02_08-27-45.jpg

photo_2020-09-02_08-27-50.jpg

yep that won't work, you may get it to work if you transfer the hour wheel but I suspect the dial may be too thick.

You can transfer the cannon pinion and hour wheel from the old movement, unless they're no good.

Anilv

27 minutes ago, SteveT said:

Yea I already transferred the canon pinion from the old movement and am wearing the watch today . I was more checking my facts before I wrote a bad review on the site.

Do you think perhaps the seller would just give you another hour wheel and cannon pinion? They may be able to do that if they are purchasing them directly from the manufacturer.

Edited by BrianB
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SteveT said:

I'm just wondering how it's possible .. they must also manufacture a variant with a short cannon pinion and the seller send the wrong one maybe ?

As mentioned above, nothing is ever sure buying when buying Chinese. It's not just that the seller only cares about is to formally fulfill the order, also in most cases he genuinely doesn't know what is what and has no help from the distributor.

I just recently bought a couple of these Chinese ST3620 movements. They came very well packaged and though they were not advertised as coming with hands they have the minute hand installed. This obviously precludes the defect that you've encountered from making it out the door.

I haven't dropped them on the timegrapher yet to check out their numbers.

1 minute ago, BrianB said:

I just recently bought a couple of these Chinese ST3620 movements. They came very well packaged and though they were not advertised as coming with hands they have the minute hand installed.

Yes the cheapest ever hands are Installed probably for rudimentary timekeeing checks. 

1 minute ago, BrianB said:

I haven't dropped them on the timegrapher yet to check out their numbers.

Most likely these will be good or very good, the issues maycome later when the lack of proper lubrication becomes evident, or god forbid one will need any spare part beside he stem. 

I bought my ST36 movements from manbuwatch but perhaps it would've been easier if bought directly from cousins instead since the price difference was neglible after the swedish postal service charged me for VAT and took 50 SEK (~5€) for the trouble. 

They came with very cheap small seconds and minutes hands (basically useless) very well packaged and no problems. The movements keeps time pretty well after service and lubrication and if you can adjust the etachron properly it gets even better in different positions.

Since I bought them for practice, I have lost some parts (end stones and shock springs) and also broke a stem when I dropped a movement. It is impossible to get any spare parts and though they are clones of UNITAS movements, those parts don't fit.

But that cannon pinion looks to small for that hour wheel. Sorry.

Hi. Just wanna know how much you take to buy that movement.

Basically, these movement only cost you about 100~200RMB which is around 10~20€, so it's possible to have this type of shit. And buyers in China also knows the risk of it. No so sure where do you get this one, so if this happened inside China, the seller normally sent you another hour wheel and canon pinion.