Help Fixing Omega Chronostop - Broken Pusher Tube

In the end i realised my press was to cheap and nasty to line up the glass to the case accurately. I'd wanted to do it all myself but couldn't afford a better press for probably a one off and i didn't want to risk cracking another glass so i took it to a local watch repair shop and they fitted the new glass for £6. Excellent service and very helpful.

SO after a very long ordeal its finally back together and on my wrist working!! hurray!.I'm so happy. thanks to everyone who's helped and contributed.

Its been hard and stressful at times but i've also enjoyed it and have a real feeling of accomplishment. Think i might see if i can find a cheap movement to work on now and try and learn an bit more.

Thanks again.

post-712-0-95381400-1444656895_thumb.jpg

post-712-0-28894800-1444656925_thumb.jpg

post-712-0-81442800-1444656953_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I suppose this fits "best" in this forum 😃 Im looking for some wall 'art' that doubles as a reference. Specifically Id like to find an ETA 28xx or Sellita exploded movement view. 2824/2836 would be ideal. Have any of you seen/found such a thing - there seem to be a lot of these for specialized movements, and none of them ready to print or to be had as a poster. Why help is appreciated.
    • The diameter is that of the ring - afaik, will have to look it up. “Wiggle room“ doesn‘t matter as long as the spring length is in the ball park.  Essential sizes of a mainspring are thickness, width and length. Diameter is just a hint if you can push into the barrel directly or will need a winder, it is no property of the spring. Frank
    • Hi @Zendoc, I guess you're like me and you don't have a mainspring winder.  I searched GR mainspring for the AS 1686 mainspring and I now understand your dilemma. The exact one is discontinued. To answer you question more directly, I see two good alternatives for you: a) GR4485 with 1.60 x .10 x 280 x 8.5 ( I guess this one is the one you found): https://www.cousinsuk.com/sku/details/mainsprings-by-list-watch-pocket/GR4485 OR b) GR4477 with 1.60 x .095 x 320 x 9. https://www.cousinsuk.com/sku/details/mainsprings-by-list-watch-pocket/gr4477   As you know, the the AS 1686 spring is supposed to be 1.60 x .10 x 300 x 9. - both of the above will fit and you'll manage to insert them from the retention ring without need for a mainspring winder (provided you know how to do it). - GR4485 will give you more power (=higher amplitude), but less power reserve (due to shorter length) than the original. - GR4477 will give you the same power reserve as the original. However, a bit less power.   Personally, I'd take GR4477 for two reasons: 1. Well, the power reserve is better. 2. With modern lubricants and modern mainspring metal alloys, you tend to get a higher amplitude anyways. You'd maybe even end up with too much amplitude (knocking) if you go with the original size and use thin synthetic oils-- see discussion here: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/10580-omega-calt17-help/#comment-248101      
    • Your setup is correct. The smallest diameter of one pulley must correspond with the largest of the other one, else not speed variation. Frank