Venus 170 assembly question

deni2s

Hi! Just serviced my first chronograph Venus 170, very happy with end result, non-working watch with many missing/broken parts ticks again properly.

But I have one question: during assembly, after train gears are in place, and before chrono part is assembled, which screws do hold the bridge in place? I was expecting same separate scews for that, but couldn't find any, so I figured out some of the chrono gear screws are doing it, but didn't really got which ones are the essential ones, so was trying to be extra careful during chrono assembly. I have couple more Venus 170 waiting for servicing, so if you could help me to figure out which screws are essential for keeping bridge in place, that would be really helpful! And any tips on Venus 170 servicing are welcome!

Do you have the assembly o graff tech manual. I did a lot of work on 170s.......I do know there are a lot of variations so parts are nt alway interchangeable. There are two screws that shouldnt be adjusted unless you know how to do it properly. The tech guide mentioned above is a big help. If you need it let me know and ill send it to you. Its been a while since I did work them. I have a ton of soares if you need any.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, bjd1020 said:

Do you have the assembly o graff tech manual. I did a lot of work on 170s.......I do know there are a lot of variations so parts are nt alway interchangeable. There are two screws that shouldnt be adjusted unless you know how to do it properly. The tech guide mentioned above is a big help. If you need it let me know and ill send it to you. Its been a while since I did work them. I have a ton of soares if you need any.

Yes, looked through that tech gmanual, and I know about eccentric screws for chrono adjustment. I will definitely need spares as I have around 8 movements lying around in different conditions. So I already know for sure, I will need balances (hairsprings and/or staffs), the buttons springs, parts which go under pushers, the (probably hour) wheel with pinion which is on dial side, would be also interested in square push buttons 5x2mm, cases, hands and dials if you have any.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Sorry to jump in here, but I didn't want to start a new thread when there's already one regarding the second hand watch market. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking at when buying watches from eBay? I see loads on there for quite cheap, but after reading this thread I'm guessing they're all garbage and not worth the time? I recently bought an old Elco watch for 99p, just to practice on. I'm also really fond of the look of Services watches and Smiths Empire watches. I keep seeing them listed for around 5 or 6 pounds. Are they not worth the time buying? I'm not looking to sell watches to make a profit. I just want to buy watches I like the look of and wear them, but I also don't want to buy things that are going to be impossible to find parts for, or that have already been abused by someone else and broken beyond repair. Any tips?
    • I tried the Moebius 9415 from any sensible amount, down to microscopic a drop (or "super minimalistic"); the size of droplet which makes you really wonder why one would/should apply anything at all? But to no avail, consistently a lower amplitude compared to my Dr.Tillwich 1-3. Of course, as John mentioned above, the Dr.Tillwich 1-3, just like the Moebius 9010, likes to go somewhere else. Since short however, I'm the (proud?) owner of a bottle of Moebius Fixodrop. Can't say that I'm a proud owner of the 9415. So far, I haven't seen or discovered the "magic" of the 9415. Meanwhile, Moebius 🤣 has my money though.........
    • I used to be quite active on The Lotus Forum when I owned my Esprit. I was there for so long, Bibs asked me to be a moderator. I'm not sure how long I did that for, but I think I turned into the second longest serving moderator. When I 'handed back my keys', Bibs made me a Full Forum Member. Normally this is a paid membership. My reward I suppose for helping out for many years. Bibs (forum owner) is quite active on there and if I am not wrong, don't quote me in other words, I think he once said that the money from memberships didn't cover the running cost. He adds money himself to keep it going. Does Mark have any sort of subscription scheme on here? I'll admit that I never paid to be a member on TLF. I should have. I never did. I agree that it would be a good idea that there is some sort of contingency plan for this forum. I intend on becoming more active on here. Life has just been getting in the way recently. I enrolled on Mark's watch course and was keenly doing that, but even that has had to take a back seat for a while. I am looking forward to getting back into that and also starting to do work on the clocks that I have been amassing. To do that successfully, I see myself needing to lean on the other members here. If for whatever reason this forum was to close, I think a great many of us would struggle.
    • I think we are about there, if there were still lots out there then the cost of a watch from 5 years ago would be around the same as it is now (allowing for inflation). Given that the price has gone up several times over we can only assume that supply cannot keep up with demand so we must be at or past peak supply, especially if the trend continues. I see even places like Australia, Ukraine and even South America are selling watches on eBay, picking over their stocks, mixed in with fakes and Frankenwatches etc.
    • I understand the demand bit, the generation below me 30ish are too technology engrossed to own a mechanical watch and they just dont like old stuff. I also consider myself at the getting on age of 57 to be a rare find of someone that likes old stuff, i did buy an almost 100 year old book yesterday titled " The New Modern Home " printed 1929.  Cost me a quid. What i was trying to work out is if we have reached a volume peak of watches being discovered hidden in the back of drawers.  Those watches that were hung onto until they entered the hands of the non sentimental generation.