Glycine Airman GMT conversion

HI

I just joined the forum (posted an introduction in the Introduce Yourself section).

Hoping someone can assist with this.

I recently purchased a Glycine Airman, a purist version without a GMT hand. My understanding is that the movement utilized in the piece is basically a SW 330-1, and it is used in both the GMT version and non-GMT version. The only difference being the placement of the hands.

My question is, what size hands will be needed if I desire to convert the piece to a GMT version? I am assuming the minute and second hand would be the same, but that the hour hand would have to be different to accommodate the introduction of the GMT hand.

Also, if anyone has a source for these hands that would be much appreciated also.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Bill

If it is indeed the Sellita SW 330-1 movement, hand sizes are as shown in the attached (this is from the official data sheet).

Then you can purchase correctly sized hands from you preferable website - Aliexpress, Esslinger, Cousins UK, Otto frei, etc. 

Not sure it will be an easy find but its worth a shot.

Screenshot_20200823-190751_Drive.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rafael said:

If it is indeed the Sellita SW 330-1 movement, hand sizes are as shown in the attached (this is from the official data sheet).

Then you can purchase correctly sized hands from you preferable website - Aliexpress, Esslinger, Cousins UK, Otto frei, etc. 

Not sure it will be an easy find but its worth a shot.

Screenshot_20200823-190751_Drive.jpg

Thank you much appreciated and exactly what I was looking for.

13 hours ago, Alxltd said:

Thank you much appreciated and exactly what I was looking for.

Good luck! Sounds like a nice side project :)

Following my earlier comment I googled the 1.8mm GMT hand and saw that Esslinger has some generic ones in that size in stock. Probably the others has some as well so not a difficult find.

Also, note that as far as I can tell, you don't need to replace the hour hand. The GMT hand sits in a different (lower) part of the cannon pinion.

• 1 year later...

@Alxltd, were you able to convert your Airman? I recently acquired an Airman Purist and I'm also wondering whether or not it's possible to convert it to a GMT version.

Few things I am trying to find out:

1. The hour hand on the Purist sits on the 1.8mm part of the cannon pinion, so my guess is somehow I have to get the hand to fit on the 1.5mm part.

2. If I understand this correctly, the GMT hand is adjusted using the same position of the crown for adjust the date. On the Purist version, if I pull the crown out to the position for adjusting the date and turn it in reverse of the direction for changing the date, the hour hand doesn't move. So with the conversion how can I adjust the GMT hand independently of the hour hand?

Thanks!

Edited by FusionTimer

On 2/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, FusionTimer said:

@Alxltd, were you able to convert your Airman?

Just FYI, the OP joined and posted on the date shown, and last visited the following day - shows hovering over name. Call that a short lived interest perhaps.