Snap-on or screw-on?

Hello,

I've a Seiko SGEG79 that needs a battery replacement. However, the caseback has no notches or slots anywhere along the perimeter. Just to be certain, I carefully traced its perimeter with a finely pointed toothpick and detected no indentations or grooves of any sort. Consequently, I have no idea if this watch is a snap-on or a screw-on. The instruction manual, meantime, offers no clarification. I contacted the "Grand Seiko" store in my city and they were no help, either. I've since messaged a seller on EBAY who currently has this watch listed to ask them, and they've yet to respond. I proceeded with the caseback removal under the assumption it was a screw-on. I figured if I was wrong and my effort (obviously) failed, then the risk of damage would be minimal. As opposed to the other way around. Well, I did fail. And the only damage was to my finger. The clumsy attempts at removal still don't bring me any closer to knowing what's what. Finally, none of the "big box" department stores around here are doing in-house battery replacements anymore, if at all. So I figured before I take it in to a professional jeweler and pay a third or so of what I paid for the watch itself just for a battery swap, I'd ask you guys. Thanks! 

20200718_165856.jpg

8 minutes ago, Casebackfromhell said:

So I figured before I take it in to a professional jeweler and pay a third or so of what I paid for the watch itself just for a battery swap, I'd ask you guys.

You need to bring it to a watch repairer, not jeweller. The small watch booths are useful too. If you are asked more than $10, walk away. The tools to let open and close it it are not very expensive but given the previous failure and the risk of getting badly cut I suggest you bring it to someone able.

On 7/18/2020 at 5:43 PM, jdm said:

You need to bring it to a watch repairer, not jeweller. The small watch booths are useful too. If you are asked more than $10, walk away. The tools to let open and close it it are not very expensive but given the previous failure and the risk of getting badly cut I suggest you bring it to someone able.

UPDATE: It's a snap on. Managed to remove it with a newly purchased pry knife. Because there's no groove/slot for the knife, the trick was to apply significant "inward" pressure before attempting to pry upward. Otherwise slip would likely occur, potentially scratching the caseback. Popping it back on was hardly a snap, however. Required a wood batten and lots of leverage. 

PS- I'm perfectly "able". The previous fail was due to me erring on the side of caution and proceeding as if it was a screw on/off. 

2 hours ago, Casebackfromhell said:

The previous fail was due to me erring on the side of caution and proceeding as if it was a screw on/off. 

It not a matter of caution, nor this is a particularly difficult caseback, Screw types all have features where the proper tool can engage, unlike your.

3 minutes ago, jdm said:

It not a matter of caution, nor this is a particularly difficult caseback, Screw types all have features where the proper tool can engage, unlike your.

And yet, you didn't bother answering my question...because you didn't know either. Instead, you advised me to head to the mall. Further, it WAS a matter of caution, as I didn't want to damage a screw-on back by trying to pry it off, had that been the case. Finally, and AGAIN, ability was never the issue. Despite your odd insistence. Capiche? 

• Haha 1