Timex 100 M22

DDC

I hope this is the right place to post my question. I’ve been collecting watches for just a few months. I’m not very confident or competent working on them. 
Anywho, this Timex M22 movement is refusing to kick start. The thing is wound tight. When I mess with the stem/crown the wheel will do its thing, but soon as I stop messing with the stem/crown the balance wheel stops. I’ve put a bit of oil in a couple of spots. How do I release the wound up tension so it will wind normally again? Or, suggestions on what else to do short of taking the thing apart?

image.jpg

Hi They are not the easiest of watches to put together being two plates there is quite a bit to do.  The timex was designed as a throw away watch when they were returned for repair they just put a new movement in , but they can be fixed. We have a Guru on timex watches, JerseyMo who works on almost exclusive timex and knows then backwards.  Next time you get one clean it out complete with Naptha, or ronsonol then a drop of oil.  We have all cocked it up over the years I know I have.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Is it ok to soak the movement still together or must it be taken apart? I saw JerseyMo in a thread the first time I was on here. He does seem very knowledgeable. He also seems gruff but lovable. 

Hi The Idea was That they could be cleaned in their entireity without dismantling so in such cases it is as well to use Benzine, Naptha, rinsed in IPA then dried care fully then lubricated not forgetting the V Conic bearings on the balance. As far as lubrication goes I have attached two Moebius documents to give you an Idea as what to use.  If you are looking to practice the art pick up some Russian watches they are cheap and robust things to play with and if a disaster happens , no great loss. I dare say that most of us have some disasters tucked away.  Enjoy.:)

Moebius Oil and Grease Application Chart - Leosics.co.uk.html horotec Moebius oils book.pdf TZIllustratedGlossary (1).pdf