Ruined 2836-2 Movement S

mlfloyd1

Mifloyd1-The other day I dropped a very small

mainspring arbor from an antique watch onto

the hairy monster and thought "thats it another

one for the spares box". Then I thought -magnet!

Duly bought a 4" item on the bay. When it arrived

I attatched it to my other half's pick up tongs and

approached the hairy. A couple of sweeps-an

audible click and yes! a mainspring arbor back

on my bench!!

Minuteman3

+1 for mangling hairsprings when removing stubborn balance cocks - I wish I had better technique for that. Killed quite a few watches that way. Nothing worse than the sight of a balance cock dangling from a hairspring...

Also if anyone can show me a movement holder that doesn't let go at the crucial moment, I'll be forever in their debt.

Also Jaxa tools slipping and leaving huge scratches on the solid gold back of a watch makes me feel like giving up....and yet...

Also if anyone can show me a movement holder that doesn't let go at the crucial moment.

I've been bitten so many times with this happening. The movement went right through its movement ring while tightening a screw. Inevitability, something else also comes off.

+1 for mangling hairsprings when removing stubborn balance cocks - I wish I had better technique for that. Killed quite a few watches that way. Nothing worse than the sight of a balance cock dangling from a hairspring...

Also if anyone can show me a movement holder that doesn't let go at the crucial moment, I'll be forever in their debt.

Also Jaxa tools slipping and leaving huge scratches on the solid gold back of a watch makes me feel like giving up....and yet...

These are a few of mine. The one with the movement is a Bergeon as well as the small one on the right. The shinny one that is like the Bergeon is a Horotec and the others, who knows. The large one is for the largest pocket watch movements and is the same as the Bergeon but cheap. I like the Bergeon style the best. The feet are at the furthest point for support. 

post-674-0-03767200-1425085262_thumb.jpg

EDIT to add, the movement is a 12 size Illinois movement for size comparison.

Edited by Gotwatch

I'm embarrassed saying this, but I know I'm among understanding colleagues.

Hi Milfloyd,

Here's a little story for you mate.

When Thomas Edison was creating the light blub he ran into the same issue again and again.  To create light from a filament you need to run it so hot that it becomes Incandescent; but how do you achieve this, and what material can survive this punishing temperature?

After months of failures, someone said to him, "It seems your attempts at creating light in a blub is a failure."  To which he answered, “I have not failed. I've just discovered 10,000 ways that won't work.”

If Tommy had given up on the light blub at attempt 9,999 he would not have gone down in history as it's inventor, would he?

You my friend have not failed, and have nothing to be embarrassed about.  You've just learnt many ways not to do it. :)

With the parts I've been ordering I might as well have bought a complete movement.

Consider it an "investment" in your education ... knowledge rarely comes cheaply, and that is why its so valuable.

Edited by Lawson
  • Like 1